Newbie Question: Creating VCD disk.

chrism

Hi Group,

Hope someone can help me:

I have downloaded a MPG file which I am trying to put onto a VCD (so that I
can watch it on my TV).

I have managed to burn a VCD from the MPG file (using various combinations
of Nero, tmpgEnc, EasyVCD etc.)

The resulting VCD seems to play OK on my PCs DVD drive using my DVD
software, but when I try to
play it on my (Toshiba) DVD player, it looks terrible! Picture keeps
freezing and jumping, tons of 'artifacts' all over the screen, nasty bangs
and whistles in the sound etc. etc.

Is it just that my DVD player is rubbish at playing VCDs, or are there any
hints and tips for improving the quality of a VCD?

Thanks,

ChrisM

On Fri, 7 May 2004 09:21:56 +0100, "ChrisM"
<chris_mayers_N05PMAM_@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have managed to burn a VCD from the MPG file (using various combinations
>of Nero, tmpgEnc, EasyVCD etc.)

Depending on the .mpg file, you might have been able to burn a Vcd
just with Nero, so if you have run it through other programs, that
might be the reason it looks so bad.

Which resolution and bitrate does you .mpg file have? What did you
exactly do with it?

chrism

"Bariloche" <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 7 May 2004 09:21:56 +0100, "ChrisM"
> <chris_mayers_N05PMAM_@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >I have managed to burn a VCD from the MPG file (using various
combinations
> >of Nero, tmpgEnc, EasyVCD etc.)
>
> Depending on the .mpg file, you might have been able to burn a Vcd
> just with Nero, so if you have run it through other programs, that
> might be the reason it looks so bad.
>
> Which resolution and bitrate does you .mpg file have? What did you
> exactly do with it?

Thanks for your answers,

Not sure exactly what the bitrate/res of the MPG was, but high enough to
look pretty good when played my MediaPlayer/Real Player etc.

I doubt I could tell you exactly what I did, I have tried so many different
combinations, with much the same result. I did try just using Nero, but the
MPG is in a wide aspect ratio, and Nero seemed to force it back to a 4:3(?)
ratio.

The strange thing is that as I said, the VCDs I create play OK through the
DVD software on my PC, it's just playing on the Toshiba that I get these
nasty results. That's what's leading me to think it's the DVD player rather
than anything I'm doing... Trouble is I don't have another DVD player to
experiment with :-(

Regards,

ChrisM

Mr

On Fri, 7 May 2004 16:45:57 +0100, "ChrisM"
<chris_mayers_N05PMAM_@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Bariloche" <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 7 May 2004 09:21:56 +0100, "ChrisM"
>> <chris_mayers_N05PMAM_@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have managed to burn a VCD from the MPG file (using various
>combinations
>> >of Nero, tmpgEnc, EasyVCD etc.)
>>
>> Depending on the .mpg file, you might have been able to burn a Vcd
>> just with Nero, so if you have run it through other programs, that
>> might be the reason it looks so bad.
>>
>> Which resolution and bitrate does you .mpg file have? What did you
>> exactly do with it?
>
>Thanks for your answers,
>
>Not sure exactly what the bitrate/res of the MPG was, but high enough to
>look pretty good when played my MediaPlayer/Real Player etc.
>
>I doubt I could tell you exactly what I did, I have tried so many different
>combinations, with much the same result. I did try just using Nero, but the
>MPG is in a wide aspect ratio, and Nero seemed to force it back to a 4:3(?)
>ratio.
>
>The strange thing is that as I said, the VCDs I create play OK through the
>DVD software on my PC, it's just playing on the Toshiba that I get these
>nasty results. That's what's leading me to think it's the DVD player rather
>than anything I'm doing... Trouble is I don't have another DVD player to
>experiment with :-(
>
>Regards,
>
>ChrisM

You could take it to Circuit City or one of the other outlets and use
one of their players to try your vcd.
MR

> Hi Group,
>
> Hope someone can help me:
>
> I have downloaded a MPG file which I am trying to put onto a VCD (so that
> can watch it on my TV).
>
> I have managed to burn a VCD from the MPG file (using various combinations
> of Nero, tmpgEnc, EasyVCD etc.)
>
> The resulting VCD seems to play OK on my PCs DVD drive using my DVD
> software, but when I try to
> play it on my (Toshiba) DVD player, it looks terrible! Picture keeps
> freezing and jumping, tons of 'artifacts' all over the screen, nasty bangs
> and whistles in the sound etc. etc.
>
> Is it just that my DVD player is rubbish at playing VCDs, or are there any
> hints and tips for improving the quality of a VCD?
>
> Thanks,
>
> ChrisM

If the format was originally VCD, most players can play those without too
many problems. If it was SVCD (higher res / bit rate), many DVD players can
easily choke on those. It could also be the type of media you use that's the
problem. Go to the DVD Player comparison list on www.dvdrhelp.com and check
your players VCD/SVCD compatibility.

Along with everything else that was suggested, try burning
at a slower rate. If I burn any VCD faster than 40x they won't play
in my DVD player.
Matt

ChrisM wrote:

>Hi Group,
>
>Hope someone can help me:
>
>I have downloaded a MPG file which I am trying to put onto a VCD (so that I
>can watch it on my TV).
>
>I have managed to burn a VCD from the MPG file (using various combinations
>of Nero, tmpgEnc, EasyVCD etc.)
>
>The resulting VCD seems to play OK on my PCs DVD drive using my DVD
>software, but when I try to
>play it on my (Toshiba) DVD player, it looks terrible! Picture keeps
>freezing and jumping, tons of 'artifacts' all over the screen, nasty bangs
>and whistles in the sound etc. etc.
>
>Is it just that my DVD player is rubbish at playing VCDs, or are there any
>hints and tips for improving the quality of a VCD?
>
>Thanks,
>
>ChrisM

"ChrisM" <chris_mayers_N05PMAM_@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have downloaded a MPG file which I am trying to put onto a VCD (so that I
>can watch it on my TV).
>
>I have managed to burn a VCD from the MPG file (using various combinations
>of Nero, tmpgEnc, EasyVCD etc.)
>
>The resulting VCD seems to play OK on my PCs DVD drive using my DVD
>software, but when I try to
>play it on my (Toshiba) DVD player, it looks terrible! Picture keeps
>freezing and jumping, tons of 'artifacts' all over the screen, nasty bangs
>and whistles in the sound etc. etc.
>
>Is it just that my DVD player is rubbish at playing VCDs, or are there any
>hints and tips for improving the quality of a VCD?

If you used a CD-R, then try again with a CD-RW. I've seen some DVD
players that don't handle CD-R discs well at all, but they do fine
with CD-RW discs.

I burn at 8X for my VCD and outside of problems with the video (which is
actually in the video file and not from the conversion to VCD format) it
looks and plays great. I have a Panasonic DVD player.

Jerry

"TCG" <TCG@d4net.net> wrote in message
> Along with everything else that was suggested, try burning
> at a slower rate. If I burn any VCD faster than 40x they won't play
> in my DVD player.
> Matt
>
> ChrisM wrote:
>
> >Hi Group,
> >
> >Hope someone can help me:
> >
> >I have downloaded a MPG file which I am trying to put onto a VCD (so that
> >can watch it on my TV).
> >
> >I have managed to burn a VCD from the MPG file (using various
combinations
> >of Nero, tmpgEnc, EasyVCD etc.)
> >
> >The resulting VCD seems to play OK on my PCs DVD drive using my DVD
> >software, but when I try to
> >play it on my (Toshiba) DVD player, it looks terrible! Picture keeps
> >freezing and jumping, tons of 'artifacts' all over the screen, nasty
bangs
> >and whistles in the sound etc. etc.
> >
> >Is it just that my DVD player is rubbish at playing VCDs, or are there
any
> >hints and tips for improving the quality of a VCD?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >ChrisM

On Fri, 7 May 2004 16:45:57 +0100, "ChrisM"
<chris_mayers_N05PMAM_@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Not sure exactly what the bitrate/res of the MPG was, but high enough to
>look pretty good when played my MediaPlayer/Real Player etc.

That may be one of the problems. If the bitrate is too high, your Dvd
player may not be able to read the disc fast enough. Dvds can have a
higher bitrate than Vcd because a Dvd disc has a higher density than a
CD, and can be read faster. CD-RW are better than CD-R in that
respect.

chrism

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. The only thing I haven't yet
tried out of them all is creating the VCD with a lower bit-rate. That would
kind of make sense, especially if the DVD drive on my computer can read CDs
at a faster rate than the Toshiba Player (Which I would imagine it can)
Not sure how to do that yet, but I'll go and find out then give it a go.

Anyone that is interested, watch this space, and I'll post an update when
I've given it a shot (don't hold your breath though...)

"ChrisM" <chris_mayers_N05PMAM_@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi Group,
>
> Hope someone can help me:
>
> I have downloaded a MPG file which I am trying to put onto a VCD (so that
> can watch it on my TV).
>
> I have managed to burn a VCD from the MPG file (using various combinations
> of Nero, tmpgEnc, EasyVCD etc.)
>
> The resulting VCD seems to play OK on my PCs DVD drive using my DVD
> software, but when I try to
> play it on my (Toshiba) DVD player, it looks terrible! Picture keeps
> freezing and jumping, tons of 'artifacts' all over the screen, nasty bangs
> and whistles in the sound etc. etc.
>
> Is it just that my DVD player is rubbish at playing VCDs, or are there any
> hints and tips for improving the quality of a VCD?
>
> Thanks,
>
> ChrisM

"ChrisM" <chris_mayers_N05PMAM_@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. The only thing I haven't yet
>tried out of them all is creating the VCD with a lower bit-rate. That would
>kind of make sense, especially if the DVD drive on my computer can read CDs
>at a faster rate than the Toshiba Player (Which I would imagine it can)
>Not sure how to do that yet, but I'll go and find out then give it a go.

You cannot really alter the bitrate of a VCD; if you do, it will
probably no longer be a VCD. VCD is not a very flexible format. If
the VCD with which you're having problems does not comply with the VCD
standard in some way, that might be the cause of the problems
(computer software players are a lot more flexible than standalone
players).

chrism

Hi,

Thanks for your comment.

Do you know what the correct bitrate for a VCD is? How can I check the
bitrate of the disk that I've created?

Regards,

ChrisM.

<DeepOne@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> "ChrisM" <chris_mayers_N05PMAM_@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. The only thing I haven't
yet
> >tried out of them all is creating the VCD with a lower bit-rate. That
would
> >kind of make sense, especially if the DVD drive on my computer can read
CDs
> >at a faster rate than the Toshiba Player (Which I would imagine it can)
> >Not sure how to do that yet, but I'll go and find out then give it a go.
>
> You cannot really alter the bitrate of a VCD; if you do, it will
> probably no longer be a VCD. VCD is not a very flexible format. If
> the VCD with which you're having problems does not comply with the VCD
> standard in some way, that might be the cause of the problems
> (computer software players are a lot more flexible than standalone
> players).

On Mon, 10 May 2004 12:29:34 +0100, "ChrisM"
<chris_mayers_N05PMAM_@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Do you know what the correct bitrate for a VCD is?

1150 kbps. But I have made Vcd with 1400, and played fine. The limit
varies with the player.

>How can I check the
>bitrate of the disk that I've created?

Open the mpg with Avicodec, and it shall tell you resolution, bitrate,
etc.

TRENDING THREADS