Newbie question regarding weak internet connection

madeon

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
Hi,

I'm currently having troubles with keeping a stable connection through my entire home network. Please note that I don't have that strong of a understanding of computers but I will try to explain things as best as I can.

Anyways, it's easiest if I first list the things connected to the network:
- Wired desktop (Windows 7)
- Desktop with Wireless adapter (Windows XP)
- Laptop (Windows 7)
- Macbook Pro
- Blackberry playbook

So the problem which I'm having is that our Windows computers are able to connect, but cannot keep the connection. Like, when trying to open a new page in the browser, we get "Webpage is not available....server at _____ cannot be found because DNS lookup failed" or suddenly the video I was streaming would just stop. This has never happened with the Macbook or the Playbook; both has always had a perfect connection. Also to add, the connection drops much more frequently and stays off longer on the wireless windows computers than the wired desktop. This has been happening for quite a while now but only since last week has it gotten really irritating.

I have tried:
- Resetting modem and router (several times already)
- Seeing if the Windows computers could connect while other computers were disconnected from the network (still nothing)
- DNS is set to auto-configure (don't know what this means but it was a response to a similar question :??: )

Right now I'm probably leaning towards the router being faulty which is surprising since I think it was a higher end model (Linksys E2000?) which I've had for less than 2 years and I'm not sure if it is the router since the Macbook and Playbook can connect easily. (All the devices are all one room apart from the router) It's weird how it's only the windows computers or it could be a coincidence.

Sorry for the write up! The things I tried probably aren't anywhere close to what I should do but any ideas/help is appreciated before I spend money on another router :??:. Thanks

Open a command prompt and type in "ipconfig /flushdns", hit enter. You should see a message about successfully flushing. This is not the same thing that a 3 year old would be happy about by the way.

See if that helps any.

Another thing to try, check the router vendor for updated firmware, it may have an internal update option if you go to the configuration page.