newbuilder3

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2007
How delicate are CPU's when being installed. I mean can you touch the side with your fingers or do you need gloves. I keep hearing about contamination of the thermal grease etc. Just need an idea before i begin my first build how to handle some of this stuff

I have never worn gloves :) , you should be fine if you pick it up by the corners/edges and then place into/onto the socket just make sure you get it orientated the correct way round i.e line up the little arrows and if it is a PGA type (Pin Grid Array) then let it 'fall' in to the socket do not force it down.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
I wear fire proof gloves when, just kidding. :D All you do is what mouesmonkey said and just use the metal arm lever to swing it down, which locks the CPU in place. Also wash you hands of any thermal grease as you don't what that to touch cpu pins or the CPU. Take you time when building you new PC as it can be a very great feeling when everything go's together well and to turn it on for the first time is wonderful.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

You need to be in a clean-room rated to HEPA 10, and using an ESD station rated to 500KV. OK, I'm exaggerating a bit. HEPA 3 will suffice.

Seriously, do try to use proper anti-stat measures. I prefer to build the MB up to the level of the CPU, HSF and ram outside of the case, on the MB's anti-stat bag and with a wrist strap plugged in to the bldg. ground of a well-tested power outlet. I've never lost a CPU yet that I know I didn't kill.

Too much? OK, build the MB with the case next to it, PSU installed, power connected, and turned on. This will ensure a good ground, well as good as your bldg. gnd can get... Touch the case frequently to dissapate whatever static you might have.

Nah, forget it. Just throw the damned thing into the MB and pray a lot. Forget I said anything.