Newbie Question

purple

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Hi all,
i buy internet access from some internet provider..they came to my home
and attach some usb flat panel antenna, and they said that i dont need
to use modem to connect to internet..after couple of days i figure out
that they are using wireless network..i shocked because i didnt know
that it is possible to connect internet like that..after a little bit
search from internet i found that i can build my own antenna like
pringles can or cantenna to build network with my friends through the
AP that they provide the internet..i didnt know where to plug that
antenna, and after the reading of the antenna building tutorials i buy
Linksys WMP54G wireless network card.. i learn i need some special
cable(LMR400) and connectors..im very good in electronics, i believe
that i can build antenna..but i dont know what kind of antenna should i
build. also the only positions that can see the AP's is minimum 15
meters far from computers and one of my friends home is very near(same
street) to AP, other friends home is almost same place as me (5
kilometers) the AP is using 802.11b, my signal is low and it tells 2
mbps...sometimes 6 mbps...should i buy it or build it?? im very
confused about everything..any word can be helpfull..just say something
please..

--
purple

"purple" <purple.1gl8ky@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote in message

> Hi all,
> i buy internet access from some internet provider..they came to my home
> and attach some usb flat panel antenna, and they said that i dont need
> to use modem to connect to internet..after couple of days i figure out
> that they are using wireless network..i shocked because i didnt know
> that it is possible to connect internet like that..after a little bit
> search from internet i found that i can build my own antenna like
> pringles can or cantenna to build network with my friends through the
> AP that they provide the internet..i didnt know where to plug that
> antenna, and after the reading of the antenna building tutorials i buy
> Linksys WMP54G wireless network card.. i learn i need some special
> cable(LMR400) and connectors..im very good in electronics, i believe
> that i can build antenna..but i dont know what kind of antenna should i
> build. also the only positions that can see the AP's is minimum 15
> meters far from computers and one of my friends home is very near(same
> street) to AP, other friends home is almost same place as me (5
> kilometers) the AP is using 802.11b, my signal is low and it tells 2
> mbps...sometimes 6 mbps...should i buy it or build it?? im very
> confused about everything..any word can be helpfull..just say something
> please..

For what it is worth, building very high frequency antennas is as much art
as it is science. Few people have the resources available to build something
that is actually better than even the low end stuff they can buy
commercially.

Secondly, if the FCC happens to get wind of your venture, you could be
looking at some steep fines. Those folks don't play games these days. I
wouldn't risk it.

Ed Cregger, NM2K

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

purple wrote:
> Hi all,
> i buy internet access from some internet provider..they came to my home
> and attach some usb flat panel antenna, and they said that i dont need
> to use modem to connect to internet..after couple of days i figure out
> that they are using wireless network..i shocked
<snip>
> im very good in electronics

err... no, you're not.

Anyway, if you're thinking of building your own so that you don't have
to bother with paying the ISP, you've got a *lot* of learning to do.