Newbie Question

savejs

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
Just getting into wireless. So if I have wireless setup, can I have one PC in a room 25 feet away from wireless router (with TV, dryer, kids, life...in between) and still get great internet. What are the drawbacks, if any.
Thanks

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
technically the answer is yes, you'll get great internet from the wireless router to your PC.

My advice is if you can stick with wires do so, but if that is impossible (like in my house) then you have to go with wireless. the Buffalo WBR-G54 is a great wireless router, and it's what i use.

the drawbacks are

1. increased cost, wireless cards and routers cost more.
2. wireless security, be aware of the latest security protocols on wifi such as WPA, and implement them, or use a high bit encryption WEP mode on the router.

stupid_tech_geek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
I too am a wireless noob but I got a buffalo tech wbr-g54 router and it has served me well. I have an old house and the router is in the back room but the notebook is in the front. Signal strength is pretty good most of the time. Stuff like microwave ovens cause some interference when in use but otherwise everythings good. Another important thing to consider (esp if your a noob like me) is the avail of tech support. Buffalo has good hours and the folks there seem on top of things. Hope this helps.

A7n8x dlx G Bios Agressive settings
xp1700 Paly 2x 256 Crucial 2700@ cl 2.5
ATI Radeon Sapphire 9200 WDCaviar 60gig w 8mb Cache @ 7200
"There is no magic server pixie dust."