[SOLVED] newbie questions regarding 144hz monitors

Apr 17, 2020
So, i just recently bought a new gaming pc and now i'm looking to buy a monitor for it. The PC has options for HDMI, DisplayPort and DVI. Originally i thought "ok whatever, i'll just buy a 144hz 1ms monitor with HDMI support". but somewhere along the way i see all kinds of opinions on HDMI and DisplayPort, one saying HDMI CAN'T do 144hz, unless its HDMI 2.0 or something.. The other saying DisplayPort can do something like 144hz up to 4K etc.. Basically i got pretty confused with all the conflicting info i got on HDMI and DisplayPort.. Can someone please straighten it out for me? I dont even know if i should use HDMI or DisplayPort. I'd be OK using either, as long as it does what i want it to do. Which is gaming at 144hz with 1ms. I hope i gave enough info to explain my dilemma. If its important to mention, my budget for a monitor is $200-$250. If anyone can recommend a monitor for around that price, that can do 144hz in hdmi would be preferred, if that'spossible. Thanks for your time lol

Solution
Ok page 42 of the English manual says that monitor supports 1080p 165Hz over both HDMI and Display Port. Unfortunately the manual says HDMI and Display Port cables are optional and may or may not be included with the monitor (not helpful). If you buy a cable then for HDMI make sure it’s 2.0 or higher, for display port make sure it’s 1.2 or higher.
Apr 17, 2020
What resolution, 1080p? Display Port allows 144Hz up to higher resolutions, HDMI may not support 1080p 144Hz depending on the version. Also some monitors will only support 144Hz over Display Port, I’ve people get caught by that on this forum.

Are you asking about my pc resolution? sorry this is all very new to me.
This PC will run all new titles at high FPS at either 1440 or 1080P.
Ryzen 5 3600
RX 580 8GB
Gigabyte A350 GAMING MOTHERBOARD
16GB DDR4
120GB SSD
1TB HDD
RGB FANS
Aerocool RGB Case
Windows 10 Pro
2 HDMI ports
3 DisplayPort ports
1 DVI

So what connection type would you recommend for this particular pc?

What resolution is the monitor? 1080p (1920x1080) or 1440p (2560x1440p) or something else? At 1440p I think the highest HDMI 2.0 supports is 100Hz and no gpu’s currently support 2.1. You might as well just use Display Port, it will support your full resolution and refresh rate.

Apr 17, 2020
Ah sorry. I havent really looked at many monitors due to not knowing what i should look for (hdmi or DisplayPort).. that being said i just found this one right here

What would this monitor give me with HDMI or DisplayPort? also notice how it says HDMI in the specifications, but doesnt state HDMI 1.4 or 2.0 etc.. does that mean ANY hdmi type would work?

I can’t view that link, seems to be private. Just go with Display Port, it will work.

You cannot assume just because a monitor say it has HDMI that it works at high Hz over HDMI regardless of version. Most will work but I have seen some that don’t support high Hz over HDMI. If it is not mentioned in the spec then download the monitors manual from the manufacturer and check.

Reactions: artzry
Apr 17, 2020
Oh sorry, i dont know why the link doesnt work.

MSI Optix MAG272C curved gaming monitor. Equipped with the 1920 x 1080 FullHD resolution and ground-breaking 165Hz refresh rate panel.

Short description of the monitor ^
Says HDMI, USB, DisplayPort, USB-C.

So if I were to use DisplayPort, does the cord i buy matter? is it like HDMI where theres 1.4 and 2.0 etc? And will the monitor accept all types of DisplayPort cables? sorry for not knowing much about this

Ok page 42 of the English manual says that monitor supports 1080p 165Hz over both HDMI and Display Port. Unfortunately the manual says HDMI and Display Port cables are optional and may or may not be included with the monitor (not helpful). If you buy a cable then for HDMI make sure it’s 2.0 or higher, for display port make sure it’s 1.2 or higher.

Reactions: artzry
Solution
Apr 17, 2020

Thanks so much. I'm not sure if this is the monitor i'll be buying, but i know now to download the manual for whichever monitor i consider. Ty!

k1nationIG

Great
Apr 9, 2020
So, i just recently bought a new gaming pc and now i'm looking to buy a monitor for it. The PC has options for HDMI, DisplayPort and DVI. Originally i thought "ok whatever, i'll just buy a 144hz 1ms monitor with HDMI support". but somewhere along the way i see all kinds of opinions on HDMI and DisplayPort, one saying HDMI CAN'T do 144hz, unless its HDMI 2.0 or something.. The other saying DisplayPort can do something like 144hz up to 4K etc.. Basically i got pretty confused with all the conflicting info i got on HDMI and DisplayPort.. Can someone please straighten it out for me? I dont even know if i should use HDMI or DisplayPort. I'd be OK using either, as long as it does what i want it to do. Which is gaming at 144hz with 1ms. I hope i gave enough info to explain my dilemma. If its important to mention, my budget for a monitor is $200-$250. If anyone can recommend a monitor for around that price, that can do 144hz in hdmi would be preferred, if that'spossible. Thanks for your time lol
https://www.newegg.com/black-asus-t...b81b&cjevent=5f0ba12380ca11ea80df01080a24060b

This is a really good monitor. Unfortunately its 290$ but it supports Freesync and Gsync and is an IPS panel which realllyyyy good. Also, simply use displayport, display port is guaranteed to give you everything you want and HDMi, there is a small risk

k1nationIG

Great
Apr 9, 2020
https://www.newegg.com/black-asus-t...b81b&cjevent=5f0ba12380ca11ea80df01080a24060b

This is a really good monitor. Unfortunately its 290$ but it supports Freesync and Gsync and is an IPS panel which realllyyyy good. Also, simply use displayport, display port is guaranteed to give you everything you want and HDMi, there is a small risk
this is one is also good for a cheaper price
MSI Optix MAG241C