Newbie questions

Archived from groups: rec.games.corewar (More info?)

Hi,

I'm quite new to corewars. In order to understand redcode, I've written
some small warriors. But now I'm trying to implement a MARS in Python.
At the moment, it only executes redcode according to ICWS '88.

Is there any program, I can use the test my MARS? Perhaps a testsuite
with programs and some expected results?

I know, that simple programs like Imp or Dwarf do, what they are
supposed to do in my MARS. Any special suggestions, which one I should
test next?

Jens

Archived from groups: rec.games.corewar (More info?)

Hi Jens,

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005, Jens Gutzeit wrote:

> Is there any program, I can use the test my MARS? Perhaps a testsuite
> with programs and some expected results?

AFAIK, There's only validate.red specifically for '88 in the
pmars source distribution. You can get it from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/corewar/

Joonas

M Joonas Pihlaja wrote:
> AFAIK, There's only validate.red specifically for '88 in the
> pmars source distribution. You can get it from
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/corewar/

Thanks. The program validate.red seems to loop forever. I hope, that
this isn't just a stupid bug ;-)

Jens

Archived from groups: rec.games.corewar (More info?)

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005, Jens Gutzeit wrote:

[snip me pointing to validate.red]

> Thanks. The program validate.red seems to loop forever. I hope, that
> this isn't just a stupid bug ;-)

No, that means you're a-okay. It's supposed to suicide if
something goes wrong. Congratulations!

Joonas

M Joonas Pihlaja wrote:

> No, that means you're a-okay. It's supposed to suicide if something
> goes wrong. Congratulations!

I'm not so sure. I know, that it should loop forever, if everthing is
OK. validate.red mentions some kind of a counter (named 'flag'), but it
doesn't count :-( That's why I think my program is buggy. Tomorrow I'll
give it another try. Perhaps I'll find the bug.

If it seems to work, I will publish the program somewhere. After that
I'll probably write a simple GUI, that shows the running programs in action.

Jens