[Newbie] Setting up a wireless nework for internet access

Dear Group,

Very soon I will be getting broadband in my home. I have a laptop which I
use downstairs and my brother has a Desktop PC which he uses upstairs. The
problem is that we will both want to use the broadband at the same time.
Therefore I have decided that it will be best if we get some wireless
networking going on so that we can both use it.

My question is what will i need? From the company (BT - United Kingdom) I
have just ordered the Box. This will sit in my brother's bedroom. I know
that we will both require wireless networking cards for our PC's. But what
confuses me is: Routers, Modems and Access points. What are each of them?
And which do I need?

Thanks for any one who can help. I'm good with computers, but when it comes
to networking I have no idea!

Thanks

Cassandra

"Cassandra Flowers" <ebay.esales@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Dear Group,
>
> Very soon I will be getting broadband in my home. I have a laptop which I
> use downstairs and my brother has a Desktop PC which he uses upstairs.
The
> problem is that we will both want to use the broadband at the same time.
> Therefore I have decided that it will be best if we get some wireless
> networking going on so that we can both use it.
>
> My question is what will i need? From the company (BT - United Kingdom) I
> have just ordered the Box. This will sit in my brother's bedroom. I know
> that we will both require wireless networking cards for our PC's. But
what
> confuses me is: Routers, Modems and Access points. What are each of them?
> And which do I need?
>
> Thanks for any one who can help. I'm good with computers, but when it
comes
> to networking I have no idea!

What 'box' have you ordered from BT? An ADSL router? It might have been
better if you didn't buy their hardware (you don't have to, and it's most
likely expensive) and bought a wireless/ADSL router all in one e.g. Netgear
DG834G. Then one of you could have a direct network connection the that
router via Ethernet cable, and the other would need a wireless card to
connect to it.
If you can't get out of buying the 'box' now then you just need a Wireless
router on it's own, and one wireless card.

You need 1 wireless router and one wireless PC Card.

You will plug the wireless router into the BT provided box, plug your
brothers computer into the router, and your computer will attach to
the router via the wireless network.

-D

"DiskKoppy" <DiskKoppyX@Xhotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Cassandra Flowers" <ebay.esales@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> > Dear Group,
> >
> > Very soon I will be getting broadband in my home. I have a laptop which
> > use downstairs and my brother has a Desktop PC which he uses upstairs.
> The
> > problem is that we will both want to use the broadband at the same time.
> > Therefore I have decided that it will be best if we get some wireless
> > networking going on so that we can both use it.
> >
> > My question is what will i need? From the company (BT - United Kingdom)
> > have just ordered the Box. This will sit in my brother's bedroom. I
know
> > that we will both require wireless networking cards for our PC's. But
> what
> > confuses me is: Routers, Modems and Access points. What are each of
them?
> > And which do I need?
> >
> > Thanks for any one who can help. I'm good with computers, but when it
> comes
> > to networking I have no idea!
>
> What 'box' have you ordered from BT? An ADSL router? It might have been
> better if you didn't buy their hardware (you don't have to, and it's most
> likely expensive) and bought a wireless/ADSL router all in one e.g.
Netgear
> DG834G. Then one of you could have a direct network connection the that
> router via Ethernet cable, and the other would need a wireless card to
> connect to it.
> If you can't get out of buying the 'box' now then you just need a Wireless
> router on it's own, and one wireless card.

It is interesting to note that some UK ADSL suppliers (and I think BT is
one) are specifying that only one device may be connected ... meaning one PC

If they think you are going to connect numerous users then they sell you a
"network" multi-user, or business package at a vastly increased rate ..

John

---

mark

http://www.linksys.com/edu/

This is a good place to start with regards to understanding what you should
consider for your specific needs.