Newbie suggestions

NeoBahamut

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
Hello

I´m looking for a new laptop and it has to meet my somewhat basic needs. Listen up people, once again I present you with the eternal questions: what to buy and which are the best components?

Right now I´ve got three competitors, named 1, 2 and 3 respectively. Here are the specs that set them apart from each other:

Processor 1: AMD Sempron 2800+
Processor 2: AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Processor 3: Pentium® 4 processor 518 with Hyper-Threading (2.80 GHz, 1 MB L2 Cache, 533 MHz FSB)

Graphics 1: UniChrome Pro IGP
Graphics 2: GeForce FX Go5700 64Mb
Graphics 3: 64MB DDR nVidia® GeForce™ 5200 Go AGP 4x

Price 1: approx $1350
Price 2: approx $1810
Price 3: approx $2000

* Also, unlike the others computer #2 has a DVD-recorder.

Well, what do you all think? Which is to prefer? Please take the price into consideration as well, since my wallet don´t stick out of my pants too much I´m afraid.

No 2 definatly

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Definiatly get 2!

3 - will be hot, power hungry and pants for games.
1 - will be woefully slow compared to the other two. (dont even consider playing games on it.
2 - will faster than the other two in pretty much every application, will be able to play newer games (although not fantastically well). + has a DVD recorder.

(Number 3 looks like a complete rip off, has it got more RAM than the other two or summik?)

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Number 2, without a doubt.

XP2800+, Abit NF7, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR333, ATI R9800PRO 128MB, TT PurePower 420W, LG DVD+-R/RW
:redface: <font color=red>My wife says I suffer from premature ejaculation...I don't remember suffering<font color=red> :wink:

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Another vote for #2

------------
<font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>

NeoBahamut

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
Wow, that´s a lot of answers =). I thank you all for your time!

It´s pretty obvious what you think I must say. Well, number 2 is the winner and probably the one I´ll go for if you all insist on it so much. And to answer about the extra ram on number 3 - nope, no extra ram.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Let me just say that #1 is utter trash, rubbish, garbage. It uses onboard graphics from the worst graphics company (S3), who's graphics business went bankrupt and was bought up by the worst chipset company (VIA), then the two were combined to bring you the worst of both.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>