Question Newbie trying to upgrade RAM

Aug 6, 2022
I was gifted two 16GB sticks of RAM to upgrade my HP Victus Laptop 16-d0xxx. After I installed the new RAM, the laptop turns on but the screen remains black. I don't know whether the new RAM Is compatible--I honestly figured it would work if it plugged in (newbie, I know)

The upgrades sticks are PNY DDR4 2666MHz

Any idea if I'm doing something wrong? If the sticks aren't compatible, what are some recommendations? I use the laptop for some casual gaming and school work.

Thank you.

D

Deleted member 362816

If it is 1.2V ram it should work. What the the specs of the ram? little white sticker on it usually.

D

Deleted member 362816

Well, the originals took a bit to resolve the screen. The new PNY didn't do anything, but maybe I didn't give them long enough?

Sorry I misunderstood. I would install the pny sticks and give them at least a few minutes. If that doesn't work since they are compatible with that laptop I would say one of the sticks is bad, or both but unlikely. Ram has a life time warranty generally if you have a receipt from the person you got it from. I would try one stick at a time in slot A to see if one is bad after the other things listed above.

Aug 6, 2022
Sorry I misunderstood. I would install the pny sticks and give them at least a few minutes. If that doesn't work since they are compatible with that laptop I would say one of the sticks is bad, or both but unlikely. Ram has a life time warranty generally if you have a receipt from the person you got it from. I would try one stick at a time in slot A to see if one is bad after the other things listed above.
Thanks, I'll try a reinstall tomorrow morning. If my current RAM is 3200MHz and these are < 3200MHz, will I see a reduction in performance? Or would it still be better since it's more RAM (32GB) than the current (8GB)?

D

Deleted member 362816

Thanks, I'll try a reinstall tomorrow morning. If my current RAM is 3200MHz and these are < 3200MHz, will I see a reduction in performance? Or would it still be better since it's more RAM (32GB) than the current (8GB)?

I would choose 32gb 2666 over 8gb of 3200 yes small hit in performance but offset by more ram.

Reactions: LaptopRam
Aug 6, 2022
Happy to report that after waiting around 3 minutes, the laptop booted up--I'm on it right now. Thanks for all your help! I had no idea it could take that long for the BIOS to resolve the new sticks.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost