[SOLVED] Newbie wanna upgrade his PC

Oct 21, 2019
Hi guys,
Sorry if this question was already asked (it probably was), but since i'm not that good in informatic i wasn't sure if other topics could apply to my request, so i rather start a new one.
I have this computer for around 4 years now, but i feel like it's starting to freeze on some recent games (esp. Battlefield 5, where it's unplayable for me).

Here are my specs :
  • Intel Core i5-4690K (3.5 GHz) never OC, and not planning to, unless it's easy to do
  • KFA2 GTX 970 EXOC Black Edition, 4 Go
  • Asus Z97-PRO GAMER
  • DDR3 Kingston HyperX Fury White, 2 x 4 Go, 1600 MHz, CAS 10 (HX316C10FWK2/8)
  • Cooler Master VS Series, 550W
  • SSD 250Go and SSHD 1 To

I feel like the GPU is starting to get old and I would like to upgrade it maybe to a GTX 1080. Is it possible with my setup ? Will it be enough to run new games smoothly or do i need to upgrade something else (like the CPU ?)

--------------------

I also recently found 2 RAM that i added since they were on same frequency (1600 - 2x4go KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX) but i only got 12Go memory in total and not 16Go as it should be. Any solution for that ?

Thanks in advance for your response, if more informations are needed don't hesitate to ask and i'll try to give you to them (as long as i have the knowledge to find that information ^^)

Solution
The starting point is the User Manual for your motherboard:

Asus Z97-PRO GAMER

(Do verify - version is important.)

Read the User Manual and visit the Asus website to learn what is and is not supported by the motherboard. Read the fine print - details matter.

For example, you added RAM but 1/4 of that (one module if I followed correctly) is not showing up. Could be incompatible, defective, misconfigured.

Have you done any Disk cleaning to remove unused apps, temporary files, Look at that 250 GB SSD - how full has it gotten?

Another question: has the case ever been opened for cleaning and reseating of cards and cables. What about a new CMOS battery?

And double check the computer's specs against the recommended specs for...

Ralston18

Titan
The starting point is the User Manual for your motherboard:

Asus Z97-PRO GAMER

(Do verify - version is important.)

Read the User Manual and visit the Asus website to learn what is and is not supported by the motherboard. Read the fine print - details matter.

For example, you added RAM but 1/4 of that (one module if I followed correctly) is not showing up. Could be incompatible, defective, misconfigured.

Have you done any Disk cleaning to remove unused apps, temporary files, Look at that 250 GB SSD - how full has it gotten?

Another question: has the case ever been opened for cleaning and reseating of cards and cables. What about a new CMOS battery?

And double check the computer's specs against the recommended specs for the games you play (e.g., Battlefield 5). Determine if your computer is now behind with respect to the specs or still up to the game requirements.

Windows 10: Is it up to date? What about drivers - ensure that they are all up-to-date.

Four years is getting a bit long. The PSU is probably okay at 550 watts but you may find yourself needing a new PSU at any time. Some internal issues may be causing the freezes.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events

There will always be some errors etc. so do not get alarmed. Look for errors that occur just before or at the time of freezes. Those errors may provide some warning of a failing component. Especially if the errors are increasing in number and frequency.

Solution