[SOLVED] Newbie- What is a Proxy Server? Why do game Networks (steam, ms network) Tell me that I cannot Connect because I am using a Proxy Server?

MasterBlaster22

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Newbie- What is a Proxy Server? Why do game Networks (steam, ms network) Tell me that I cannot Connect because I am using a Proxy Server?

I can describe the connectivity/networking issues. I would really like to be able to game that allow PVP interaction. I am always unable to JOIN ANY GAME netowrk at all, be it, Steam, Ubisoft, MS online pvp games, co-op games. My internet works great for everything else. I don't have an issue with bandwith or speed( I think) when it comes to anything else, like, OI can watch and download movies on my pc fairly quickly, stream live youtube, netflix etc. (although sometimes my netflix connection is interrupted b/c it gives me an ERROR UNABLE TO CONNECT WITH PROXY) and then sometimes I restart my pc and it works fine as usual - I don't know why this happens.

I have suspected that something is going on with MS security features and MS Defender on Win 10. But I am clueless.

I also have Kasperski Total Security Antivirus, Internet Security Certificate Checking, Kasperski Safe Maney. I have DISABLED Kaspeski Internet Security and it makes no difference. Still Can't connect to any game service servers.

Any thoughts?

Solution
It really depends on the what doesn't work. Any games that uses a central game server should work on almost any connection. The games that have issues are one there is no central host and one of the players must have his machine act as a server.

A actual proxy is generally configured in the browser. It used to be used by large companies to both filter data and to cache web pages to reduce internet usage. Now that almost all data to the internet is encrypted they serve very little purpose.

All I can think of is it is not actually a proxy setting. Maybe the systems are actually complaining that only web browser ports can be used. It is common when you install a proxy to block other ports but it is not required.

This...
It really depends on the what doesn't work. Any games that uses a central game server should work on almost any connection. The games that have issues are one there is no central host and one of the players must have his machine act as a server.

A actual proxy is generally configured in the browser. It used to be used by large companies to both filter data and to cache web pages to reduce internet usage. Now that almost all data to the internet is encrypted they serve very little purpose.

All I can think of is it is not actually a proxy setting. Maybe the systems are actually complaining that only web browser ports can be used. It is common when you install a proxy to block other ports but it is not required.

This would be a firewall setting. Try to temporarily disable the microsoft firewall. If it is set to "public" network rather than "private" it will block many more ports.

If there actually is a proxy in the path then I don't know what you can do. This is something you would only see if you got your internet from say a school or maybe a apartment complex that provides internet. You could try a vpn service and see if it would function though the proxy and then all your game traffic would go via the vpn.

Solution