[SOLVED] Newbie'ish needing some help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 23, 2019
Good afternoon everyone, i thought i would join this website as I'm in need of some advice
I have had this system since 2012 and recently trying to play some of the latest games its starting to struggle.
I have been interested in getting a PowerColor Radeon RX 590 Red Devil 8GB GDDR5 but the guys at Novatech has said it would basically be bottle necked by the rest of my rig, and that it would be better off getting a new system or upgrading the RAM CPU and motherboard..is this a sales ploy or would it make sense?
I will attach some screenshots of my system.
Any advice from the tech guru's would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance..
Cypriotgeeza

upload
upload
upload
upload

Last edited:
Solution
Yes, you would see a serious bottleneck using that CPU, or any FX CPU, with an RX 580. It would be BETTER with something like an 8 core FX CPU, but it is NOT worth spending the money on. It would be much better spend simply upgrading to a worthwhile platform. That platform sucked when it was new, much less now, six years or seven years after the fact.

If you could get a used FX-8320 or 8350, for VERY cheap, it might be SOMEWHAT worth doing, because it would be a very slight generational increase in performance plus it would add two cores/threads to your processing capabilities, but it would still only barely improve things at all.

It would make a lot more sense to look at far newer platforms, which you can get into for very reasonable...
Yes, you would see a serious bottleneck using that CPU, or any FX CPU, with an RX 580. It would be BETTER with something like an 8 core FX CPU, but it is NOT worth spending the money on. It would be much better spend simply upgrading to a worthwhile platform. That platform sucked when it was new, much less now, six years or seven years after the fact.

If you could get a used FX-8320 or 8350, for VERY cheap, it might be SOMEWHAT worth doing, because it would be a very slight generational increase in performance plus it would add two cores/threads to your processing capabilities, but it would still only barely improve things at all.

It would make a lot more sense to look at far newer platforms, which you can get into for very reasonable prices. Even a used Intel i5 platform from the Haswell days would be a terrific improvement from what you have now, and THAT platform is five years old as well.

Reactions: Cypriotgeeza
Solution
Oct 23, 2019
Thanks for the reply mate..

Yea I was in two minds wether to upgrade or not and I think this has started to make me realise how old my rig is..

To be fair to it I've always played games on medium/high settings and never really had any issues untill lately the main problem being Resident evil 2 remake which it started to struggle on..

So what's the general consensus here? AMD or Nvidia?

I think the platform is the bigger concern. For the graphics card, not much has changed there throughout the years. The bang for the buck option is still going to be AMD.

What really matters is what can you afford to throw at this?

Are you ready to do it now, or is this something you'll want to do down the road? Because if it's not now, then not much point in even discussing specifics because in two weeks, two months or four months, the prices and best options will have changed three times and what was cheap now won't be then, and visa versa. The best hardware choices are the ones that provide the performance you need at a price you can afford WHEN you are ready to pull the trigger.

I could give you a build right now that gives you that, and by the end of the month it could be changed by two or three hundred dollars, or some other combination of parts might be a hundred bucks cheaper.

Reactions: Cypriotgeeza
Oct 23, 2019
Yea I see what you are saying.

I prob won't be able to afford what I want right now so I'm going to hold out and maybe wait to see if I can get a black Friday bargain and if not I'm genuinely considering a custom build (I'm a mechanic by trade) as I love building and customising things!

It was my cousin all those years ago who advised me about AMD for what I was looking for in a gaming pc and I have to say I've had no complaints all these years.

Thanks again for the advice 👍🏼

Oct 23, 2019
Well, when you are ready to pull the trigger on something, come back and PM me and I'll be glad to help you get the most for your dollars when you are ready.

Hi mate, any chance I could pick your brain please? 😬
I'm finally looking to get a new pc and I'm considering a
Ryzen 5
RX590 gddr5 graphics card

They are the main components and I will build around it..

Could you advise me further when you have time?

Much appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.