Question Newcomer here! Unbareable GPU squeals!

Oct 7, 2021
Hi everyone, I'm new here ^^

Card: Zotac Geforce GTX 1070 Ti MINI

My GPU is squealing! Squeals occur regardless of resource-usage.
I originally purchased it New back in 2017...
My card has never been dusted, or had it's thermal-paste re-applied, nor has it ever been removed from it's case.
One of the fans is spinning poorly, and only moves in locked interval-rotations, the fan itself is wobbly/loose.
The failing fan seems to make a purring sound when idle, and is loud enough to vibrate my desk or be heard across the house.

Squeals sound like honks when idle, and actual screams when gaming

I will post demonstrations of the squeal when possible...

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If it's never been dusted, I think the card needs a (deep)cleaning. As for your build, mind sharing the specs to it like so:

CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

From the way you've mentioned it, I'm leaning on the card exhibiting coil whine. Might want to roll up a sheet of A4 paper and hold one end to your ear while the other is used to narrow down the source of the squeal. The other thing could be that you need to replace the fans on the cooler or that the card is on it's way out. Include the ag of the PSU(apart from it's make and model + wattage).

Reactions: pare384927
Oct 7, 2021

If it's never been dusted, I think the card needs a (deep)cleaning. As for your build, mind sharing the specs to it like so:

CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

From the way you've mentioned it, I'm leaning on the card exhibiting coil whine. Might want to roll up a sheet of A4 paper and hold one end to your ear while the other is used to narrow down the source of the squeal. The other thing could be that you need to replace the fans on the cooler or that the card is on it's way out. Include the ag of the PSU(apart from it's make and model + wattage).

Windows 10 Pro
AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
16.0GB Dual-Channel
ASRock AB350 Pro4
931GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB

Oct 7, 2021

CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

I am confident that this is an isolated GPU issue, because the squeals are so loud, the noise times correctly when the fan attempts to spin

PSU: Thermaltake Smart Series PSU, Smart 750W (RED?)
My PSU is not old, I bought it back in 2019

TRENDING THREADS