[SOLVED] (newcomer to overclocking) Question regarding OC'ing RAM

metselaarsam

Commendable
Aug 9, 2018
Hello,

As the title states I am very new to overclocking and don't understand much or feel very confident on the subject.
I would like to overclock my memory so let me begin by stating my specs:

i7 9700K
Asus ROG Maximus X hero (wi-fi version)
16GB G.Skill Trident Z 2400MHz 15-15-15-35 (this is the component I would like to OC) (XMP enabled)
RTX 2060 Super

I've tried watching a few tutorials but most of them were either about XMP or a little too technical for me.
I did however find one tutorial that was straight to the point and looked very easy and I would like to know if this could apply to me.

The only thing the guy did was put the frequency to 3200MHz and the voltage to 1.4. (coming from 2666 and 1.2)
Timings were left configured by the motherboard and my motherboard has that feature as well.

If I just take these steps mentioned above and then slowly tune down the voltage because for what I've heard 1.4 is quite high for RAM would it be okay?
I don't want to break the limits I would just like to have some faster memory without spending any money.

Thanks,

Sam

Solution
I would just like to have some faster memory without spending any money.

Love that! :D

So the tutorial you highlighted at the end is not a bad process. But the starting points are way to high.

You have DIMMS rated at 2400mhz, it's unlikely they will OC to 3200mhz.

Here's how to start:

Get your self memtest86+ and stick it on to a USB drive so you can test your mem OC settings outside of Windows.

Start low, and test all the way. You should not use 1.4v on those DIMMS. They are rated at a 1.2v and if you put that much voltage through (even if it helps stability) could be too much for the DIMMS and cause crashing from heat.

Keep voltage at 1.2 and bump the mem speed up one strap. Try at 2666, with 1.2v and leave timings on...
I would just like to have some faster memory without spending any money.

So the tutorial you highlighted at the end is not a bad process. But the starting points are way to high.

Here's how to start:

Get your self memtest86+ and stick it on to a USB drive so you can test your mem OC settings outside of Windows.

Start low, and test all the way. You should not use 1.4v on those DIMMS. They are rated at a 1.2v and if you put that much voltage through (even if it helps stability) could be too much for the DIMMS and cause crashing from heat.

Keep voltage at 1.2 and bump the mem speed up one strap. Try at 2666, with 1.2v and leave timings on auto. Test your ram for 4 passes in Memtest86. Then boot to windows and do some tasks. If you have no issue, then bump up to the next speed strap. If you get crashes, raise the voltage 0.5v at a time to help with stability. Don't go beyond 1.35v.

I had a pair of corsair generic 2400mhz DIMMS running at 2733mhz, with 1.25v with same timings as stock. Anything higher just would not post. Sometimes you just reach the limitations.

Solution

metselaarsam

Commendable
Aug 9, 2018

Here's how to start:

Keep voltage at 1.2 and bump the mem speed up one strap. Try at 2666, with 1.2v and leave timings on auto. Test your ram for 4 passes in Memtest86. Then boot to windows and do some tasks. If you have no issue, then bump up to the next speed strap. If you get crashes, raise the voltage 0.5v at a time to help with stability. Don't go beyond 1.35v.

I had a pair of corsair generic 2400mhz DIMMS running at 2733mhz, with 1.25v with same timings as stock. Anything higher just would not post. Sometimes you just reach the limitations.

Hey Keith,

Thanks for your really clear instructions, this should be easy enough for me to do and feel confident with.

Hey Keith,

Thanks for your really clear instructions, this should be easy enough for me to do and feel confident with.

No worries. Glad to help. You can leave the thread open if you like to get other responses. If you run into other issues, you can PM me. If you get success, then choose an answer as the solution to close out the thread.

Remember to test as you go. That's very important. Will rule out random crashes and will help troubleshoot later if you need to.