[SOLVED] Newegg CPU/Motherboard Combo. Compatible?

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
I'm looking at this combo from Newegg and was wondering if the CPU would first need a BIOS update. The board's website (if I have the right one) shows it needs an updated BIOS version. Can I assume Newegg would not sell them in a combo if they weren't ready to go?
Btw, is my link to the board the right one? I don't see the word Promontory anywhere.

Solution
I did not give you a down vote. I gave you an up vote. Click on the down vote and see for yourself.
Never said you did the other guy was who I quoted.

EDIT that BIOS version has been out a good bit of time so it might/ should work. Your looking for a 100% yes and nobody can give you that if they do their stupid.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I'm looking at this combo from Newegg and was wondering if the CPU would first need a BIOS update. The board's website (if I have the right one) shows it needs an updated BIOS version. Can I assume Newegg would not sell them in a combo if they weren't ready to go?
Btw, is my link to the board the right one? I don't see the word Promontory anywhere.
Newegg does not guarantee compatibility of any combo.

EDIT Newegg.com cannot guarantee the compatibility of Combo items. right from your link just below the price.

It will need to have the BIOS version P3.90 or higher to work so it depends on when the board was actually made.

It also has no built in graphics so you will need a video card if you were not aware of that.

Last edited:
"Supports AMD AM4 Socket Ryzen 2000, 3000 and 5000 Series Desktop Processors "
whether that includes needing a BIOS update is not stated.

contact AsRock or look for user reviews that state which CPUs they're running and if they required it.
is my link to the board the right one? I don't see the word Promontory anywhere.
the board's specs do state the chipset is "Promontory"

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
"Supports AMD AM4 Socket Ryzen 2000, 3000 and 5000 Series Desktop Processors "
whether that includes needing a BIOS update is not stated.

contact AsRock or look for user reviews that state which CPUs they're running and if they required it.
the board's specs do state the chipset is "Promontory"
Absolutely none of that is necessary either it comes with the required P3.90 or higher BIOS version or it don't. It all depends on when the board was manufactured what somebody else got has nothing to do with anything.

EDIT they make the motherboard and install the latest BIOS version at that time end of story. Their no way of knowing how long the board has set in a warehouse.

either it comes with the required P3.90 or higher BIOS version or it don't. It all depends on when the board was manufactured what somebody else got has nothing to do with anything.
and if some are stating that it came with a previous BIOS from a particular retailer than it means there is a larger chance yours will also.

and if all or a majority of the latest customers are stating that there's came updated to this version than yours will more than likely also.

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
OK. Understood. Here's my thinking:
The 3.90 BIOS update was released 2019/12/16 . Since that was a year and 7 months ago, it seems likely the board in question would recognize the CPU by now. I guess I'll have to decide on my own. Thanks for replying to my question.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
and if some are stating that it came with a previous BIOS from a particular retailer than it means there is a larger chance yours will also.

and if all or a majority of the latest customers are stating that there's came updated to this version than yours will more than likely also.
You have no clue what your talking about. Thanks for the downvote for your limited knowledge on the way things work.
OK I sell out of boards and buy more they come from another warehouse and no telling how long they have been on the shelf their a bunch of warehouses that don't even rotate stock.

Most of the time on Newegg bundles they sell a hot item with a item that is not selling to try to get the old not wonted/selling stock out of their warehouse.

I'm in a position where I can't actually say what I wish to!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
OK. Understood. Here's my thinking:
The 3.90 BIOS update was released 2019/12/16 . Since that was a year and 7 months ago, it seems likely the board in question would recognize the CPU by now. I guess I'll have to decide on my own. Thanks for replying to my question.
You are correct on your thinking but their no guarantee. Like I said it all depends on when the board was actually made.

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
You have no clue what your talking about. Thanks for the downvote for your limited knowledge on the way things work.
OK I sell out of boards and buy more they come from another warehouse and no telling how long they have been on the shelf their a bunch of warehouses that don't even rotate stock.

I'm in a position where I can't actually say what I wish to!!!!!!!!!
I did not give you a down vote. I gave you an up vote. Click on the down vote and see for yourself.