News Newegg Launches GPU-Shopping Portal Designed to Sell You a GPU

toaste

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2013
The “Benchmark GPU” button brings you to a comparison rather than running some (inadequate) benchmark of your current GPU as a baseline like you’d expect and could find at a site like userbenchmark. You’re far better served by https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Then you see it points you to an RTX 3070 vs RTX 3080 comparison. The little note that it’s at 1080p on an unspecified gen of i7 is the cherry on top. If you plan to run that hardware just for 1080p you are lighting money on fire… which I suppose must be their intended audience.

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
does the tool offer a price to performance comparaison ? and taking account for the prices at any given moment (including specials) ? if so it could be nice.

Jul 20, 2022
What would make the tool better is if it included legacy GPUs. That way, consumers can compare what they have today with what they are contemplating tomorrow. Lets you see how much faster things will be. They need to include system spec as well. The GPU is one part of the equation. System speed, memory speed, etc all lead into the equation.

ConfusedCounsel

Prominent
Jun 10, 2021
Okay but why? Even with Nvidia's price drops, the value proposition of getting a GPU now is ____. Well, I guess it would be altruistic. The more people who buy now the faster the AIBs clear out the surplus. The faster the AIBs clear out the surplus the sooner Nvidia launches the 4080 and 4070 - which will perform the same or better as the 3090 and 3080 but cost less. So, I could be a nice guy and buy a 3080 to pay more today for the same level of performance I will get form a 4070 in few months at a cheaper price. Or I could be selfish and save myself money by waiting a few months. Now if Nvidia drops the price of each card a full tier, i.e., sells the 3080 for $500 and the 3090 for $700 maybe.

Last edited:

CDS1972

Commendable
Oct 22, 2020
I will refuse to purchase GPUs from Newegg as I hold them partially responsible for the ease that bitcoin miners had at purchasing graphics cards from them,
In fact I would not be the least bit surprised if evidence was found proving that they were knowingly engaged in selling most of their stock to the miners and were only listing a handful of their stock for the average person to buy.

Reactions: bigdragon

ConfusedCounsel

Prominent
Jun 10, 2021
I will refuse to purchase GPUs from Newegg as I hold them partially responsible for the ease that bitcoin miners had at purchasing graphics cards from them,
In fact I would not be the least bit surprised if evidence was found proving that they were knowingly engaged in selling most of their stock to the miners and were only listing a handful of their stock for the average person to buy.
You forget about the Newegg Shuffle. It protected graphic cards from miners through a raffle where lucky winners needing a graphics card to keep their kids in virtual school during a pandemic were forced buy e-waste along with an overpriced graphics card. On that note, I managed to keep my daughter online with an overclocked FX processor and two 950's in an SLI configuration. Eventually we won the shuffle and got her a more stable configuration. Anyone need a bronze EVGA 700 Watt PSU still in original shrink wrap?

Seriously, Nvidia and Newegg have a lot of good will to win back. This is just a shameful rebranding attempt.

Last edited:
Reactions: daworstplaya
These performance metrics really set the site apart from Newegg's regular site, which lacks any sort of performance data. Besides the GPU comparison tool, each listing on the site has the GPU's associated TimeSpy performance score and estimated average frame rate result in a popular AAA title (in today's case, this includes Call of Duty: Warzone).
Synthetic benchmarks like TimeSpy can be really deceptive and arguably shouldn't be something to base buying decisions off of. For example, Intel's upcoming A380 performs significantly faster than a GTX 1650 or RX 6400 in TimeSpy, but tends to be a bit slower than those cards in the majority of actual games. It looks like they are partnering with 3DMark for the performance data though, so that's probably not going anywhere.

They need to include system spec as well. The GPU is one part of the equation. System speed, memory speed, etc all lead into the equation.
For the most part, things like memory speed will have minimal impact on typical gaming performance, and an estimation of how a particular CPU performs is probably enough. They are not providing precise data after all, it's just more to give a rough estimate of how the performance of different cards compares. In many demanding games running at high settings and typical resolutions, even the CPU won't affect average frame rates all the much, as performance will in most cases be graphics limited, unless one has a rather old CPU or an "enthusiast-level" graphics card running at low resolutions.

TRENDING THREADS