Newegg Launches Premier Service Similar to Amazon Prime

Status
Not open for further replies.

SinisterSalad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
I've been using ShopRunner for a few years now. It's a bit more than Egg's fee, but it's free 2-Day on most items, free return shipping and can be used on multiple participating companies. A better deal IMO. Now, if Newegg ends up dropping from ShopRunner, I'm not going to be very happy with them.

bombebomb

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
Most of my items arrive in two days via ground from newegg anyway.... I hope they don't start slowing down their normal operations..... on the other side, I have had shoprunner for YEARS and never paid a dime for it. I suspect that will continue through 2015 when my "trial" runs out.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Newegg's shipping has been awful since they moved from FedEx to UPS - not because UPS is necessarily superior, but rather because they negotiated the cheapest possible service. Even with the premium shipping plan, the service will lag far behind Amazon's amazing shipping and service. Unless Newegg can manage much better prices than Amazon (which they haven't been able to do for a very long time), they're not going to get any of my business.

TriBeard

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
Or you could just buy most of what they have on amazon for the same price or less, and in my experience, better customer service if something goes wrong. Newegg isn't bad, and I still shop there from time to time, but I prefer to buy from Microcenter when I can, and amazon when I can't.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
As a amazon prime customer I am really curious about this and might make the switch. I loved Amazon prime but lately there shipping has been slow. Also one of the shipping providers (lasership) has been nothing but trouble for me.They have added so many items to the add-on program where you have to spend at least 25 dollars to order certain item's. Also there was a talk of a price hike to Amazon prime in the near future raising it 20-40 dollars. I think Newegg might be on to something I do agree newegg's customer service isn't as good as Amazons but at the same time. The only thing amazon does when you call there CS is give you a credit on the account which is kinda nice but I have had to personally contact them 4 times this month for different issues which is really annoying. I would be a much happier if I didn't need to contact them at all.

I live 20 miles away from their facility and get overnight shipping most of the time even with the cheapest/free shipping. Might go for it anyway because I order so much, though, could just pay once for shipping in the future.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Haven't shopped any big ticket items from newegg lately. However, the aspect of computer parts retail that newegg does better than amazon is technical specs. For example, its much easier to compare clock speeds on several brands of the same GPU on newegg than amazon. Nowadays, I go to newegg to shop and amazon to buy.Now, if amazon can buy newegg...

SinisterSalad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Most of my items arrive in two days via ground from newegg anyway.... I hope they don't start slowing down their normal operations..... on the other side, I have had shoprunner for YEARS and never paid a dime for it. I suspect that will continue through 2015 when my "trial" runs out.
I don't recall ever being charged for mine, either. :D

rajangel

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
@achoo22- I've had similar experiences with Newegg shipping, but I don't think it's completely the shipping companies fault. Newegg has shipped expensive ram in plastic bags (literally, with no bubble wrap, nothing, just plain anti-static bags with a postage tag). I used to love Newegg, but in the last few years they have really gone downhill. They used to have stellar prices, but now I always finding the same products elsewhere. Plus, they always arrive in better condition. Frankly, I've never had an order from Newegg correctly shipped (wrong items sometimes), or arrive without damaged items.Once, I ordered a laptop that arrived with no hard drive (just a gaping hole), and they tried to charge a 20% restocking fee. Thank goodness for intervention by VISA.

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
this sounds good, but amazon usually beats newegg's prices and has a bigger selection, and of course free shipping for orders over $35 anyway.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Like Mr. Bomb said, my Newegg items arrive in three business days anyhow from across the country with the current free shipping they offer and I have never had to pay to return defective hardware. If this is going to go away and now be reserved for the "premium" folks they are going to loose a customer to Amazon sorry to say."rajangel - I used to love Newegg, but in the last few years they have really gone downhill. They used to have stellar prices, but now I always finding the same products elsewhere. " <- THISPast couple years Newegg has not had the great deals they used to be known and gained fame for.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
I haven't been too happy with newegg lately; combine lackluster pricing with jacking up r9 290 prices(no, they didn't have to do it), it's clear they aren't really interested in creating a memorable experience anymore.

I haven't been too happy with newegg lately; combine lackluster pricing with jacking up r9 290 prices(no, they didn't have to do it), it's clear they aren't really interested in creating a memorable experience anymore.
Everyone jacked up the R9 290 price. it is probably because of distributors. A local shop here doesn't even carry them since they wont be able to sell them.It's not just Newegg, even on Amazon a Asus DCUII 290X is $699.

Wayne77

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
Seems they are now going to charge the long faithful customers for their years of business. I have always chosen Newegg over Amazon because of freee shipping on a lot of items and no taxes. Have lately had problems with Newegg's third party business partners false advertising and bait/switch tactics. When I try to post reviews about, it doesn't get publicized. If I have to pay for being a ten year long customer, I may just go back to Amazon since I would get more for the money.

xyriin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Echoing what a lot of people here have said, I find myself buying from Amazon more often now. There used to be a time when Newegg almost always won on price for computer parts but it's not really the case anymore. I've had less hassle on returns with Amazon, and less returns in general with Amazon. I still hit up Newegg for an email special now and then but that seems to be about it.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I spend thousands at Newegg every year. Never had an issue with their CS, every time I call I either get credit to my account or a free return shipping label. Even if I order something and the next day it goes on sale before I receive my item, a simple call to them and they gives me the difference in credit toward a future purchase. Most of the things I order have free 3 day shipping no matter if its coming from their NJ, TN or CA warehouse. I even learned that if I order before 3pm my order ships that same day and if it ships from the NJ warehouse I get it before 12pm the very next day.Charging for services they already offer seems a bit repetitive I just hope that this does not mean they will now stop the great CS I have received unless I cough up the yearly fee.

JohnUSA

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
All these tricks by sneaky Amazon and Newegg just to get more $$ out of our pockets.NOWAY.I will not fall for any of this and I am always very careful on what I buy, and I insist on free shipping, otherwise I never buy.A message to greedy Amazon and Newegg: Stop this nonsense as I will stop buying from you and buy elsewhere. In the end you will turn out to be a big loser.

JohnUSA

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
All these tricks by sneaky Amazon and Newegg just to get more $$ out of our pockets.NOWAY.I will not fall for any of this and I am always very careful on what I buy, and I insist on free shipping, otherwise I never buy.A message to greedy Amazon and Newegg: Stop this nonsense as I will stop buying from you and buy elsewhere. In the end you will turn out to be a big loser.

Status
Not open for further replies.