Newegg losing another customer

my-blue-snog-box

Reputable
Aug 20, 2014
So a few weeks ago, my wife and I spent about $1000 in parts from Newegg, including an MSI Gaming 5 motherboard. Unfortunately, it was DOA. "No problem," I think to myself, "I'll just RMA it. I hear good things about their customer support". Fast-forward to yesterday: I called to check on the status, and the customer service rep tells me that a piece is missing, but the rep couldn't explain exactly what the piece was (he got word from the tech). "Unlikely," I think to myself "but not out of the question". I let them know that I will check when I get home. Of course, there was nothing at my desk (the only place I had the box). Then today, I get notification that my RMA has been denied...for bent AUDPWR1 pins!

This is an absurd claim, as I was meticulous to a fault about this mobo. I was so careful when installing it. Not to mention that, even with bent audio header pins, the mobo should still be able to post. I am very dissatisfied with this whole process: it also seems that, upon searching, many other people have gotten the "bent pin" excuse to deny an RMA. I ordered a new mobo from Amazon and it will arrive tomorrow. I am going to eat the $150, but I will be sure to share my experience with my friend, cautioning them about dealing with Newegg. This is the last cent they will get from me.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
That is a shame to hear. I've personally had nothing but good experiences with Newegg RMA's, they were quick, efficient, and hassle-free every time. It could be that the guy checking it was being a grouch.

$150 is a pretty sizable chunk of cash. I'd contact them again and hope for a more helpful rep. They built their company behind great service and consumer loyalty, I'm sure some reps will recognize that and help you out as much as possible.

escalate. speak directly with the manager.

it could very likely have been a bad call by the tech inspecting it and customer service only knows that the techs tell them.

i've pushed a good 5k through newegg without any issues.

you may also want to bear in mind that while you do see a few issues here and there on the internet most people only write when they want to complain not when they had good enough service. the 100 or so bad reviews you will find amount to almost nothing compared with the thousands upon thousands of customers who newegg sells to.

NeweggSupport

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013

Hello my-blue-snog-box,

We are very sorry to hear about your experience with your return. Please know that when a motherboard or CPU is returned to us a supervised inspection of the item is conducted. Aside from testing the unit to check its functionality, we look to see if the board for signs of installation and end user damage. Signs of installation include bent pins, missing CPU cover or thermal paste. We'd be happy to look into this situation and see what options we have to get this situation resolved. Please send us your RMA details to wecare@newegg.com and please reference this post on Tom's Hardware. Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.

Newegg Support