[SOLVED] Newegg no return on gpu

Solution
I cant really see from the picture he sent me but it says its 290 watts max power on the sticker on the psu. Would a gt1030 be a better safer bet?
Old systems focused power delivery to the minor rails. Nowadays, with much more powerful CPU's and GPU's the power delivery focus is on the +12 volt. You cannot go by the total labeled wattage on the sticker. You have to calculate what the actual power will be for the +12 volt, as I described in my previous reply. Too many cases where they outright lie on the label about total watts. You have to know what you're working with before upgrading. Probably ok with gt 1030 as it's only 30 watts but remember what I said about amps and watts. The power supply is a safety device...
So im helping a friend get a graphics card for his prebuild pc, its a asus gtx 1050 ti that he can get for 110 after mail in rebate off newegg, i noticed that it doesnt have a return policy only replacement policy, is this that big of a deal considering as long as it works it should be fine? Also is this card any good? https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-ph-gtx1050ti-4g/p/N82E16814126170?Description=gtx 1050 ti&cm_re=gtx_1050 ti--14-126-170--Product
Looks like $120 after rebate, if you even get it. Maybe consider an RX 570. Much better performance for little increase in cost.
RX 570 vs GTX 1050 ti

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
Looks like $120 after rebate, if you even get it. Maybe consider an RX 570. Much better performance for little increase in cost.
RX 570 vs GTX 1050 ti
My main reason for the 1050 ti is it doesnt need a power connector, he only has a 290 watt psu prebuild dell pc with no 6 pin power plug since its oem powersupply and motherboard. Im worried that even the 1050ti will not work because it will pull too much power and crash.

My main reason for the 1050 ti is it doesnt need a power connector, he only has a 290 watt psu prebuild dell pc with no 6 pin power plug since its oem powersupply and motherboard. Im worried that even the 1050ti will not work because it will pull too much power and crash.
That's not good. What is the +12 volt reading in amps on the PSU label? If there's more than one +12 volt it should list a combined max for both. How old is this power supply. Also you should list the rest of the system. We don't want anything going up in smoke. You should know that the power supply is the first consideration when making an upgrade to any system. There are no exceptions to this. Proceed accordingly.

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
That's not good. What is the +12 volt reading in amps on the PSU label? If there's more than one +12 volt it should list a combined max for both. How old is this power supply. Also you should list the rest of the system. We don't want anything going up in smoke. You should know that the power supply is the first consideration when making an upgrade to any system. There are no exceptions to this. Proceed accordingly.
I believe it is 14 amps, i dont have the pc in front of me because its not mine, the psu should be about 3 years old, its a prebuilt with a i5 8400 in it, 12 gigs of ddr4 2133 or 2400. 1 tb toshiba hdd and a cd drive. stock intel cooler. I knew the psu was the main concern, if he had a normal psu i wouldnt have to ask this but since i havent used a computer like this(i built my own so it would be compatible from the get go) im not sure. Im wondering if he cant really upgrade the card based on the 290 watts.

I believe it is 14 amps, i dont have the pc in front of me because its not mine, the psu should be about 3 years old, its a prebuilt with a i5 8400 in it, 12 gigs of ddr4 2133 or 2400. 1 tb toshiba hdd and a cd drive. stock intel cooler. I knew the psu was the main concern, if he had a normal psu i wouldnt have to ask this but since i havent used a computer like this(i built my own so it would be compatible from the get go) im not sure. Im wondering if he cant really upgrade the card based on the 290 watts.
It's not 290 watts if +12 volt is 14 amps. To get watts you multiply amps by volts. System voltage is 12 volts. 14amps x 12volts = 168 watts. Even if it worked you'd be on the knifes edge. Not a really good way to do things.

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
It's not 290 watts if +12 volt is 14 amps. To get watts you multiply amps by volts. System voltage is 12 volts. 14amps x 12volts = 168 watts. Even if it worked you'd be on the knifes edge. Not a really good way to do things.
I cant really see from the picture he sent me but it says its 290 watts max power on the sticker on the psu. Would a gt1030 be a better safer bet?

Old systems focused power delivery to the minor rails. Nowadays, with much more powerful CPU's and GPU's the power delivery focus is on the +12 volt. You cannot go by the total labeled wattage on the sticker. You have to calculate what the actual power will be for the +12 volt, as I described in my previous reply. Too many cases where they outright lie on the label about total watts. You have to know what you're working with before upgrading. Probably ok with gt 1030 as it's only 30 watts but remember what I said about amps and watts. The power supply is a safety device, not just another piece of the puzzle.

Solution

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
Old systems focused power delivery to the minor rails. Nowadays, with much more powerful CPU's and GPU's the power delivery focus is on the +12 volt. You cannot go by the total labeled wattage on the sticker. You have to calculate what the actual power will be for the +12 volt, as I described in my previous reply. Too many cases where they outright lie on the label about total watts. You have to know what you're working with before upgrading. Probably ok with gt 1030 as it's only 30 watts but remember what I said about amps and watts. The power supply is a safety device, not just another piece of the puzzle.
Power started shifting to the 12v side well over a decade ago.

A 1060 vanilla is 75watts. If you add in a 125 watt cpu (probably significantly less), you've 200 watts. Because the PSU wont be 100% aligned with the system, and you have other small draws going on, you can't hit 100% by a long shot, but no need to get a 30watt vid card either.