Newegg price gouging all R9 290 and 290x's

dragoncyber

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
This is the worst price gouging I've ever seen concerning computer components of any kind.

Newegg is currently selling all R9 290's @ 300.00 - 350.00 over MSRP
and All R9 290x models @ 400.00 dollars over MSRP.

See it here>>http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=R9+290x&N=-1&isNodeId=1

The 290x is now catching up to TITAN and 7990 pricing, and both those cards are faster performers in 95% of all titles bench marked.

Now I know what everyone's going to say.. BITCOIN/ LITECOIN mining MAN!! That's why they are so expensive and hardly in stock anywhere.

Yes your correct... Does the fact that people are using the cards for Mining permit Newegg to sell them 400.00 more expensive than MSRP? Not in my book.

Lets use another scenario... consumers like economic cars that can save them money on gas right? They like 4 doors and MP3 players and various other options that all make them desire a specific car over another. Now lets say there's one car that is horrible at economy, it runs hot, isn't as efficient, Its loud and actually slower than all the other cars. It even has a lower Warranty, horrible software updates for the Cars computer, and even it's sport models still come up short against the competing cars base models....it has only one thing going for it.... a calculator in the dashboard that allows it to add and subtract really well.

Then lets say that there's this new trend where a bunch of people are driving around and adding and subtracting all day long. So because these cars start selling for this niche market really well, the Dealers decide to say screw everyone else who may be buying this car for other purposes besides math ( these non-arithmetic inclined drivers actually make up the vast majority of people who would be willing to buy and use this car but now they won't. ).. The Dealers say lets DOUBLE THE PRICE!!!....Now the people who are driving their cars around doing math all day are screwed because they have to pay way, way too much for it, and the people who just wanted to use the car for driving because originally it was a lower price are screwed too.. Everyone is screwed...

Except the Dealers who just bumped there profit margins by 60% across the board. Would you pay for the car with the calculator if it cost twice as much as the suggested MSRP?

That is the exact scenario that is currently going on with AMD R9 GPU's and Newegg. Just with a slightly different product that Would seem ridiculous if it was priced twice as much as the MSRP.
I mean think of the highest end Honda Civic you can imagine, and then double it's price.. Would it even be close to worth it? Even if it could crunch numbers really well.

Now you say... wait a minute.... this is a free market.. they can charge whatever they want for whatever they sell, and as long as someone is willing to pay for it, they have done no wrong. WRONG... because they have now excluded every single person out there who scraped and saved to get there 500.00 dollar graphics card only to find out that it is now 900.00?!?! The literally 1000's of gamers who could have afforded a 400-500.00 video card and wanted AMD, now can not even look at those cards as they have been priced out of far out of reach for the pricing tier the product was originally designed to fill.

This will completely destroy the balance of the entire graphics card market as now 780, 780 Ti's and Titans will increase in price as they are already faster in games, and the stock of R8 and R9 GPU's will dwindle to nothing, making their prices go higher.. as we are already seeing, forcing
all gamers with any sense to buy Nvidia GPU's only unless they don't care about throwing away 400 - 500 Dollars for no reason at all, unless they are a miner...

Just wanted to put this out there, I am not an AMD gamer, I run Nvidia 780 Ti's currently but I feel really bad for the AMD camp right now getting shafted like this. They had great cards this time, and I was even tempted to buy 2 R9 290x's (after market cooled of course). Anyways let me know your thoughts..

Solution

+1. Reality "bytes" sometimes. This is supply and demand to the very definition of the term.

Wait and it will equalize in time.

USAFRet

Titan
Supply and demand. Those are in high demand, due to the mining crowd. If people (miners) are willing to pay that ridiculous price, then that's what can be charged.

The game community is of little consequence.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

+1. Reality "bytes" sometimes. This is supply and demand to the very definition of the term.

Wait and it will equalize in time.

Solution