News Newegg: Refund Issued for RTX 4090 Box Filled With Metal Weights

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
I think this person made out like a bandit because of the publicity. Newegg just took it on the chin to save face.

That is entirely possible but Newegg put themselves in that position when they got into a tussle with Gamers Nexus. I seriously doubt Newegg knowingly did that unless a rogue employee stole the GPU. Someone had to know what was inside.

Reactions: JamesJones44

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
That is entirely possible but Newegg put themselves in that position when they got into a tussle with Gamers Nexus. I seriously doubt Newegg knowingly did that unless a rogue employee stole the GPU. Someone had to know what was inside.
The Gamers Nexus issue and this one aren't comparable. Gamer's Nexus knowingly bought an open box product whereas this person bought a new product. There are far more avenues to do something unscrupulous with an open box product than a brand new one. The unfortunate Gamers Nexus issue was basically incompetence and laziness on Newegg's part not outright malice that would benefit the employee that did it. I find it highly unlikely a Newegg employee stole a brand new 4090 and put two pieces of metal in the box and shipped it out.

Oct 26, 2022
Newegg claims it gave a user who says that they received weighs instead of an Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 a refund, and that this was an isolated incident.

Newegg: Refund Issued for RTX 4090 Box Filled With Metal Weights : Read more
What happened with this customer is entirely possible. Newegg probably keeps these more expensive video cards under lock and key. Any employee that walks by is wondering "Why those cards are locked up? After that word of mouth takes over. If they didn't arrive that way from the manufacturers, any one that would have access and the time to do this is probably the culprit or knows something. The old switcharoo trick...

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
It's kind of silly to say store X has a good return policy and store Y does not without knowing who the customer is.

From my experience, it has a lot to do with how long you have been a customer.

When a customer rep has to decide if you get a refud or not, they will look at your purchase history, which shows how many things you bought in the past, and how many you returned.

If you're a new customer, buying your first item, and you claim that it was "stolen" or "replaced" with a brick...good luck. If you're a customer who has been buying from them for years, they probably refund you easily.

This also explains why you can have 2 people argue with each other, one claiming the return policy sucks, and the other claiming they never had a problem.

Last edited:
What happened with this customer is entirely possible. Newegg probably keeps these more expensive video cards under lock and key. Any employee that walks by is wondering "Why those cards are locked up? After that word of mouth takes over. If they didn't arrive that way from the manufacturers, any one that would have access and the time to do this is probably the culprit or knows something. The old switcharoo trick...
Maybe it's my engineering/fabricating background talking, but is anybody talking about those sus hunks of metal? It's highly unlikely newegg or any carrier has chunks of stock like that laying around for a switcharoo. I can only fathom that those came from a machine shop.

Also would hope these are aluminum pieces (not going to scale the photo to calc steel/aluminum) so we don't also have to talk about the complete lack of rust on the plates.

Last edited:
Reactions: King_V
Whomever stole the card is an idiot. Newegg and the box itself will track the serial number which in written into each card. The second they run nvidias drivers the IP address will be revealed of the thief.

When a pallet of cards were stolen from a card mfg during the mining crisis, this is what they did.

Last edited:

dwn2brasstacks

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Most likely this is exactly what happened. Highly doubt this was intercepted and stolen, dude got the product, put weights in and claimed fraud for a huge pay day, knowing newegg has been under fire recently. Scamming 101. I could absolutely be wrong, but the odds weigh heavilly in my favor, 1 billion orders not having this issue vrs this guy.
The lack of evidence of those weights banging around is 100% the clencher here...that coupled with noone thinking anything was funny with this package.
The fact that the weight was consistant is again 100% nails in the coffin, it would be off slightly if not hugely.

Last edited:

dwn2brasstacks

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
He's actually pretty clever, I mean it worked. He had an article written about him, Gamer's Nexus and millions of people saw it and know about it now and he had a great payday. I wonder what caper will come next? Rewards bring about motivation.

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Newegg's awesome refund policy does leave them open to this sort of scam but honestly it just means people know they can trust Newegg.
awesome my hind end. Ive been an egghead for 27ish years. No, more. Bought my first ABS PC from them in the 94ish range. But they arnt the same company any more, not even close. I've spent well over 100K witht hem in that time frame and they screwed me over twice in about a year and a half, in fact, in a 2 week period about this time last year. I don't buy there any more. Sadly, their biggets compitition is AMZ but you cant search for something reliably there because whoever runs their tech stuff has no clue how search should work for that technical stuff, and then they always put 100 paid adds in front of real results. AMZ is trash to search on. I use newegg's site to search on, then cross reference the factory part number on AMZ (and even walmart) now.

Ahumado

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
As far as I am concerned, since the package was weighed twice, Newegg was scammed and did the only thing they could. Scam artists are a dime a dozen

Reactions: Devoteicon

mikepellegrini

Commendable
Apr 27, 2020
I've been building PCs for over 20 years. In the early 2000's, I bought most everything from them. They were my go to supplier for PC parts.

But they've changed in recent years.

Present-day Newegg is scum. They treat their customers as rubes, ripe for the plucking. If there was a power outage, they'd be the ones selling flashlight batteries for $50 each (plus you have to buy a motherboard you don't want, don't need and cannot use as well, for an extra $150).

They have as much integrity as Honest Al's Used cars where the only thing you can truly depend on is the sawdust they pour into the transmissions to make it so the gears don't grind (for a week or two before the thing seizes).

They'll go to any extreme in screwing customers to make a buck. I wouldn't buy anything from them if they were the only place on earth.

Reactions: PEnns

YouFilthyHippo

Prominent
Oct 15, 2022
Most likely this is exactly what happened. Highly doubt this was intercepted and stolen, dude got the product, put weights in and claimed fraud for a huge pay day, knowing newegg has been under fire recently. Scamming 101. I could absolutely be wrong, but the odds weigh heavilly in my favor, 1 billion orders not having this issue vrs this guy.
The lack of evidence of those weights banging around is 100% the clencher here...that coupled with noone thinking anything was funny with this package.
The fact that the weight was consistant is again 100% nails in the coffin, it would be off slightly if not hugely.

That's not what happened at all. You all have to think: If someone is going to be pulling off this scam, they're going to be thinking it through. They know the "sTeAl ShOuLd MaKe DeNtS iN tHe FoAm InSiDe ThE bOx", and eagle-eyed people will notice that. They know that the weights should "mOvE aRoUnD iNsIdE tHe PaCkAgE aNd MaKe NoIsE".... and that newegg inspects things, as well as weight discrepancies, etc etc.... Keep in mind, the photo you have of the weights is the one the purchaser took. Its very well possible that the box didnt contain just two steel weights free-floating, but probably contained other items to hold the weights in place, suppress their movement, and maintain the same weight as the GPU would. Let me break it down to you slowly. Here's what happened:

Step 1) Person orders 4090, receives it, weighs it, takes note of weight.
Step 2) Person with surgeon-hand precision very carefully unseals it, making sure to do as little damage to the box/seal as possible, pulls out the GPU
Step 3) Person stuffed it with weights and other objects to suppress movement, weighed it again, made sure it was an EXACT match within a gram or two, very carefully sealed it up so as to look as though it had never been opened, then returned it to newegg, made some reason to return it that they know most retailers accept.
Step 4) Newegg receives return, weighs it, feels it, inspects it, can very clearly tell that the box has not been opened (even though it has)
Step 5) Newegg warehouse workers put UNOPENED (so they thought) GPU back on shelf for sale, sends refund to customer who is actually a scam artist
Step 6) Another person orders GPU, warehouse worker grabs UNOPENED (So they thought) GPU off shelf, ships it to customer
Step 7) Customer opens box, 2 weights in place with other objects, likely styrofoam or something to suppress movement, pulls out said objects, and takes photo of 2 steal weights

Don't slam newegg for not checking the box. Of importance here is the following: When a customer receives a new purchase, they expect it to arrive sealed, unopened. Isn't that what you would expect? If you dropped down $2000+ on a 4090, and the seal EVEN LOOKED LIKE it had been tampered with, POSSIBLY OPENED, you might return it, maybe? Some people do. You want that seal untouched, like it was from factory so you know you are getting a new card. You just spent $2000+. Hello???? This is why in step 4, Newegg doesn't open the box to check, because they know that any customer who buys it will want to see the seal untampered, and the scam artist made sure to make it look like the seal had been untampered. If they open it, and everything is legit, now its been opened, and cant be resold as new, and has to be sold at discount as open box. Is this making sense? Are you getting it now? Come on, its not that hard. You have to think about all these things but no one seems to think about this.

The only fool proof solution here: Is for receivers of returns to be able to X-Ray boxes of every return. Why this isn't being done, I dont know. But it should be.

Reactions: PEnns and HWOC
D

Deleted member 14196

That's not what happened at all. You all have to think: If someone is going to be pulling off this scam, they're going to be thinking it through. They know the "sTeAl ShOuLd MaKe DeNtS iN tHe FoAm InSiDe ThE bOx", and eagle-eyed people will notice that. They know that the weights should "mOvE aRoUnD iNsIdE tHe PaCkAgE aNd MaKe NoIsE".... and that newegg inspects things, as well as weight discrepancies, etc etc.... Keep in mind, the photo you have of the weights is the one the purchaser took. Its very well possible that the box didnt contain just two steel weights free-floating, but probably contained other items to hold the weights in place, suppress their movement, and maintain the same weight as the GPU would. Let me break it down to you slowly. Here's what happened:

Step 1) Person orders 4090, receives it, weighs it, takes note of weight.
Step 2) Person with surgeon-hand precision very carefully unseals it, making sure to do as little damage to the box/seal as possible, pulls out the GPU
Step 3) Person stuffed it with weights and other objects to suppress movement, weighed it again, made sure it was an EXACT match within a gram or two, very carefully sealed it up so as to look as though it had never been opened, then returned it to newegg, made some reason to return it that they know most retailers accept.
Step 4) Newegg receives return, weighs it, feels it, inspects it, can very clearly tell that the box has not been opened (even though it has)
Step 5) Newegg warehouse workers put UNOPENED (so they thought) GPU back on shelf for sale, sends refund to customer who is actually a scam artist
Step 6) Another person orders GPU, warehouse worker grabs UNOPENED (So they thought) GPU off shelf, ships it to customer
Step 7) Customer opens box, 2 weights in place with other objects, likely styrofoam or something to suppress movement, pulls out said objects, and takes photo of 2 steal weights

Don't slam newegg for not checking the box. Of importance here is the following: When a customer receives a new purchase, they expect it to arrive sealed, unopened. Isn't that what you would expect? If you dropped down $2000+ on a 4090, and the seal EVEN LOOKED LIKE it had been tampered with, POSSIBLY OPENED, you might return it, maybe? Some people do. You want that seal untouched, like it was from factory so you know you are getting a new card. You just spent $2000+. Hello???? This is why in step 4, Newegg doesn't open the box to check, because they know that any customer who buys it will want to see the seal untampered, and the scam artist made sure to make it look like the seal had been untampered. If they open it, and everything is legit, now its been opened, and cant be resold as new, and has to be sold at discount as open box. Is this making sense? Are you getting it now? Come on, its not that hard. You have to think about all these things but no one seems to think about this.

The only fool proof solution here: Is for receivers of returns to be able to X-Ray boxes of every return. Why this isn't being done, I dont know. But it should be.
You can’t prove any of that garbage but you just stated. You shouldn’t speak so authoritatively when you don’t know unless you do know and you’re the one who did it

only someone who has done something like this would know how to do it

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Devoteicon

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
Are we talking about the same amazing company that primarily sold thousands of GPUs to scalpers and then so kindly had a ruffle....for us peasants at super inflated prices??

And, if you won the ruffle, you had to buy a bundled motherboard/ PSU, whatever you don't need to to claim your prize....

Yeah, sounds like a very honest company to me!!!

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Very unlikely.
I have been to Newegg to work as a contractor very high security, cameras everywhere, all employees go through a metal detector when leaving and things like lunch boxes searched.

More than likely just scammed by the buyer what did he have to loose by trying.

For a returned product the time line doesn't really match up.
Release date of the card, shipped to a buyer, returned by the buyer, sits with the reset of the returns before put back in stock, then sold and received by another customer.

Newegg gets a lot of items returned every day it's not just returned to stock the day it's received.

Having worked at a Target Corporation warehouse, I can say that the stuff that gets locked up tends to be under direct video surveillance, plus every employee was checked both entering and leaving the building by security for potentially stolen items. Sneaking out an M.2 drive would absolutely be possible. Someone walking out of a Newegg warehouse with a freaking RTX 4090? That's ludicrous. Either it happened with the carrier, or it happened before the package was ever shipped to Newegg (distributor)... or the customer just totally scammed Newegg.