News Newegg Says Curiously Dormant Shuffle Will Return

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
For example, we don't know how many people would be ecstatic about winning the "privilege" of purchasing an Asus TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti for nearly $2,000.

The blame for the nearly $2000 price falls on Asus. I've seen people mention that Asus boards are produced in China and subject to the 25% import tariff while most other manufacturers produce cards outside China. Don't know if that's true, but if it is, it would certainly explain why Asus' 3000 series cards are so much more expensive than other brands. Best Buy has a lot of 3080Ti's listed (and out of stock). The Tuf mentioned in this article is $1899 (including $101 "discount", list is $2000). The Strix is $2100. The most expensive card from anyone else is $1800, going all the way down to $1450, not including the FE model. Look at the 3050ti MSRP's.

RTX-3050-MSRP-2048x1152.jpg

The two Asus boards at the top are way more expensive than any board from any other AIB. There is a $249 Asus board, but Asus probably produced 7 or 8 or them. Newegg has done some terrible things recently, but over pricing Asus cards isn't one of them. Put the blame where it belongs, on Asus.

Reactions: digitalgriffin

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
According to Newegg, the Shuffle "[offers] our customers a fairer way to purchase products in short supply and mitigate behaviors that would give anyone an unfair advantage."
LOL! I signed up for so many 3070 and 3080 shuffles over a year ago. People with automatically generated accounts were winning shuffles left and right -- even on consecutive days -- and boasting about it on Twitter. Newegg did not limit who or how often people could win. Legit customers with transaction histories with Newegg got completely shafted by the shuffle system.

Today, the pricing on those shuffle 3070 and 3080 products is easily double to triple the Nvidia FE MSRP. I've watched Newegg's pricing climb to the point where scalpers on Newegg's own third party marketplace could be (rarely) cheaper. I stopped trying for shuffles last summer. Newegg isn't a retailer even worth checking for price comparisons on PC components anymore. Newegg is dead to me. Their only use right now is for making fun of ASUS and wondering if EVGA is ever going to fulfill notify queue cards from late 2020.

I hope Toms Hardware got compensated for this article. You shouldn't be giving free advertising to Newegg.

You mean like we mentioned in the article?
I hope Toms Hardware got compensated for this article. You shouldn't be giving free advertising to Newegg.
You must subscribe to the "any mention of our name is good marketing" school of thought. The article is clearly not pro-Newegg and notes multiple criticisms of the company and the Shuffle program. So yeah, we got paid a lot for that. :rolleyes:
For the record, the only stories that are ever paid for content are not written by Tom's Hardware editorial staff and clearly state that they are sponsored content.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
For the record, the only stories that are ever paid for content are not written by Tom's Hardware editorial staff and clearly state that they are sponsored content.
Bull. I have inside sources that told me Aunt Jemima herself paid for the pancake frying article you guys posted in return for a strategically placed syrup bottle in one of the article pictures.

AMD vs Intel: Which CPU Cooks Better Pancakes? - Tom's Hardware | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

PKwisUm3cLHSWUQgMcLfUm.jpg

You guys need to come clean on this one before it blows up into a bigger reputation destroying scandal.

Last edited:

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
You must subscribe to the "any mention of our name is good marketing" school of thought. The article is clearly not pro-Newegg and notes multiple criticisms of the company and the Shuffle program. So yeah, we got paid a lot for that. :rolleyes:
The content of the article is fair. I'm just taking the opportunity to dump on a company that has been exacerbating the GPU crisis because I see a headline that says something akin to "wildly unfair system -- that doesn't help get GPUs into the hands of gamers/artists or limit purchases -- is coming back." You mistake my anger at Newegg and desire to see them face some sort of cost or consequence with a shot at your editorial staff. I'm just an angry former customer trying to scare off other Newegg customers because I want the company to do better. The GPU crisis should have been solved by now.

The content of the article is fair. I'm just taking the opportunity to dump on a company that has been exacerbating the GPU crisis because I see a headline that says something akin to "wildly unfair system -- that doesn't help get GPUs into the hands of gamers/artists or limit purchases -- is coming back." You mistake my anger at Newegg and desire to see them face some sort of cost or consequence with a shot at your editorial staff. I'm just an angry former customer trying to scare off other Newegg customers because I want the company to do better. The GPU crisis should have been solved by now.
Pandemic and shortages aren't over, and Newegg most certainly isn't the one directly prolonging the shortages. AMD and Nvidia are still fighting for wafers to some degree, and I'm sure Nvidia at this point is more focused on Ada than on improving supply of Ampere. Mining demand is certainly tapering off, but we'll have to see if scalpers eventually see potential profits diminish to the point where they stop buying everything.

Mar 8, 2022
This is an interesting topic to me having recent experience...

So I got tapped for a shuffle and got an RTX3070 for $799 when they were going 1300+ on eBay so not bad. I needed one. I entered every week for months (it took ~3.5) and almost missed the payment window too, 9 minutes to spare! So,
The blame for the nearly $2000 price falls on Asus.

Is not exactly fair, I think it is definitely Newegg and

Newegg did not limit who or how often people could win. Legit customers with transaction histories with Newegg got completely shafted by the shuffle system.

Is true on the no-limits! But not true at all on shafting. I will tell you why...I won, and then I got tapped again 4 months later. Diligently entering every single week with finger taps, not bots. Bots don't work because it is a raffle not a race, you only get to enter once, and it doesn't matter when you enter. The window closes and the shuffle begins. Have you ever entered for real? You would have known that if so. It isn't them shafting, it is them exploiting. This time the same exact ROG STRIX card was $1250 (same as eBay brand new) plus some crappy second item for way too much. Now that is some BS. That definitely supports any claims of unhappy Newegg shuffle customers (I am one despite my good grab in the beginning). I let that one go to the next 'winner' and unsubscribed seeing it for what it had become. So 0.01% chance of winning? Maybe, but I am not that lucky and perceived scarcity makes great marketing.

But it got worse. So ASUS is in Taiwan not...well nvmd. I wanted a DarkHero MB. They were hard to find when I was looking. I could find them on Newegg all day for $447-$499 from abroad but I didn't trust it. I wanted a USA seller so I at least I knew there was SOME sort of possibility of frauds being cutoff at customs. So I find one from a 'Ships from US seller' on Newegg with great reviews for $600. I get it there because I felt safer (cause that is what the badge is for right?) and also didn't want to wait weeks while it gets knocked around on a boat. I get tracking info and it says coming from Tawain! I was pissed because if I wanted to do that I would have gone for the cheaper foreign sellers. Whats with the seller logo on the Newegg website!?

So I file a listing violation with screenshots, email them, and even quote a Federal Statute on Fair Trade which happens to prohibit EXACTLY: lying about sourcing. I tell them this was total BS and very deceptive blah blah...I want a refund so I can go somewhere else and find it or at least get the cheaper price if I am gambling. They brushed it off and told me too relax, no refund because I have tracking info. I got it (weeks later) and it was legit and works fine, but I was out $ for no reason and still rolling the dice on foreign delivery.

So point being, Newegg has some serious integrity issues to work out. Now I have to be fair and say they DID allow a full return and credit of my old AUROUS? MB which was a total pile of junk, still....not cool. Running the shuffle under the guise of helping people only to turn it into a scarcity based scalping program would be completely unethical if that is what they were up too... Price delta on those two RTX3070's raises questions and they weren't getting more expensive at that time, they were starting to peak and even come down a notch.

I think the worst is pasting 'Ships from US Seller' when they know very well it is the opposite and ARE TOLD it is not true, only to go and ignore any listing violations and tell me to not worry about it. I kept all the emails and screenshots too so Newegg lawyers can take a pass on this one.
I think we both know they didn't and it is not their fault you got passed on by newegg shuffle (still questioning if you ever tried hard enough). If it wasn't for this thread by these guys nobody would ever hear my story about falsified 'Ships from US seller' and I think that is a whole nother article right there.... So thanks to "JarredWaltonGPU" and the team for doing good reporting.

Buyers beware...

Last edited:

Tanquen

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Newegg did not limit who or how often people could win. Legit customers with transaction histories with Newegg got completely shafted by the shuffle system.
I got 2 cards from it.

Everyone should take a minute and use the NewEgg feedback and request that they let longstanding verified accounts place a a simple backorder and get in line and wait it out. At least with the shuffle you get a chance but I think they should do this but just longstanding verified accounts place a backorder or get on a list and be notified and you have a day to buy or not.