Newegg screwed me, what do I do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

viva_ron_paul

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
So let me give you a condensed version of events: Decided to go with an all new rig, from case to chip and everything in between. Bought all the hardware @ Newegg. Having assembled many computers in my day, had no doubt I could do this. I order 4 digits worth of stuff and software (didn't buy the software there). Waited until it all arrived and until I had total free time to work on this. 3 weeks pass and I start at it. Assemble it all slowly, methodically, and carefully. And . . . voila. NOTHING! Board has a red light for the cpu. Take out board, do a visual inspection of chip and pins, good to the eye but obviously, something's up. Contact board manufacturer, they say it's gotta be the board or chip. Contact Newegg and explain all the above, they say fine we'll replace them both. Sent the stuff back and a few days pass. I get an email saying the chip is replaced and on its way. I get another saying, there are bent pins on the motherboard, must have been improper installation, we don't cover that. IMPROPER INSTALLATION?! You align the chip and slip it in gently, it's child's-play. Went back and forth with them and in so many words they said tough and good luck. My word against theirs, and I got railroaded.

At this point I'm waiting for the board to get here. Newegg shooed me off and said to contact Asus for any support (btw, it's the P8P67-Pro 3.1). I will go through the formality but, I already know what's about to happen, or has already happened. I'm left holding the bag. So I know this much, I will never, EVER, buy another mother board online. Period. I will never buy another mobo where I can't inspect at time of purchase. When things go wrong it"s your word against theirs and too much money at stake (at least for this hard working guy). This is one of those instances where the old saying is true, "cheap is expensive".

So where I am going with this? I've been doing my homework within reviews and forums. I here this case multiple times. And I'll be hones, I saw some before but I thought the same as everybody else tends to. That it was their screw and they're just whining. I'm sure many will think the same here and that's fine, I know the truth. But, back to the topic. What's a good way of not getting screwed when buying computer parts? Or have I already figured it out? Is it just about only buying where you can inspect when you buy and stay out of the net buying? I don't want anything like this to ever happen again. What can I do? What do you say?

Thanks for all your time and input.

Solution

You can have the restocking fee waived. Just so everyone knows. Just ask newegg to waive it. :) I've never paid a restocking fee unless it was an item i just decided i didn't want, anything defective, I don't get a restocking fee. :)

viva_ron_paul

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Taking pics is good. Would have worked for me. But my trust is just so low now, I'm skeptical about everything. What happens if I received a part with physical damage, I take pictures and they still say it was customer handling. I really can't prove it was or wasn't. The picture only says the condition of it when it's here. Not how it got to be like that.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

Video unboxing, from the moment you open the Newegg box containing your goods. It's a pain, but you'll have no doubts. I will say though that IMO pins are easily bent back in position as long as you aren't doing it multiple times till they break. :eek:

Every MOBO that I get the first thing I do is examine and photograph the socket (CPU Pins). Further, any RMA that I do ditto I photograph using the camera's macro setting (see below). I almost guarantee regardless of whom you RMA/exchange a MOBO to that the CPU Pins will be checked wheither it's a bricks and mortar, online, or the OEM manufacturer. Also, if you forget to re-install the CPU Socket Cover that your RMA will be denied with most all companies, and 100% with any MOBO Manufacturer RMA.

edit/As far as NewEgg they have the BEST RMA policies, and I've never had ANY issues with them whatsoever and I buy a lot of products from them. IMO they handle their RMA process with precision and professionalism. I follow RMA requirements and exchanges to the letter of their procedures. Recently, I had an 'Expedited' RMA (aka Cross-Ship) and received the component next day! So it's kinda hard to beat what I feel is perfection. I find folks cause their own issues either by honest errors or malicious intent.

The biggest stickler and arguments are over CPU Pins.

Q - did you fail to re-install the CPU Socket Cover? ; be honest.

You can get a Jeweler's Tweezers and 'unbend' the bent CPU Pin(s), if they're cracked or break-off then the MOBO is toast (great paperweight).

Recent RMA example (I have a full set of before and after photographs); I had no issues with the RMA process. On my description sheet I include a few photos. My re-packaging is also done well, and photographed.
SAB_X79_RMA.jpg

daship

Distinguished
Well think how many noobs send back motherboards with bent pins? If I was running a company I wouldn't accept a board with bent pins either. Or something that you had 3 weeks, it just spells suspicious right off the bat. You may have built rigs before, but maybe you assumed the CPU went in like the last one you did. The newer sockets line up the triangle in a different corner then the older sockets. Always read the manual and proceed with caution.

ziuus1

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I know you feel like you got screwed but in this case you screwed urself. As a consumer I know this is not the first time you ordered electronic parts on-line.

You(We) always inspect our productes once we recieve them to make sure they aren't damaged, rather if we are gonna use them right away or not.

The amount of money you spend at an online retailer does not give you any special recognition or permissions because you spend alot of money on their site, your worth is about the same as a person who spends just $10.

Also, maybe I missed it but Did you get Neweggs Warranty for the Mobo?

Did you already contact Asus? If not, You are screwing urself again for waiting.

viva_ron_paul

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
I'm still waiting on the mobo to contact Asus. And again, the warranty doesn't cover this matter. And yes, I packaged the mobo just as I got it. Aligned in the box just right, inside the plastic bag, with the chip cover. I did what I felt I was supposed to do. People talk about I waited 3 weeks. I waited until I could do the job right with full attention and not screw up. I supposed to be 30 days return policy. That's what 30 days is for, defective products! I call b.s. or as you British say, bullocks.

And some people talk about older chips and new chips. Yes, there are different configurations. Regardless, the chip goes in one way and one way only, and I checked which way before I messed with it. In the new ones there's slots on the side to guide that. I did it the way it's supposed to be done.

The long and short is I've learned my lesson. People are talking about how they photograph the whole thing or video it. That alone tells me, there's distrust and chance of being screwed. From now on, I pay and inspect at the counter. Hundreds in loss is not worth all that hassle. I guess to each their own. Like I said, I've learned my lesson well.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

It's pretty easy not to screw up as there are notches on the cpu socket. You'd have to force it down and press the clamp tight to screw up. Yeah, even with in store retail you can get burned. It's always good to document these things just incase.

Then there's a whole lot more that you're not tell us here. I'm not British, but the 30 days excludes damage. Frankly, this is the first case of an Angel being as you stated, screwed by NewEgg. Their return and exchange policy is 30 days, returns with a restocking fee. I am bright eyed when I buy.

viva_ron_paul

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
No, no, no. It's all laid out. So funny, I even said it in the beginning, people will think what they want. I guess I'm the lone ranger with this one. I did what I was supposed to do. And it was a week before the 30 days was up. Not claiming to be an angel. Just saying, I did what I felt I supposed to do. Did it the manner which I thought it was supposed to be done. Went with Newegg, because like everybody else here says, they're good. First time I ever dealt with them, don't know if I'll go that route again on a product. DEFINITELY NOT A MOTHERBOARD THOUGH!

Didn't think I had to be suspicious and unbox the thing as the ups delivery truck was driving away with high definition camera, video recorder, and witnesses. If this seems like good business to you, I have no words to say. Best of luck!

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

You can have the restocking fee waived. Just so everyone knows. Just ask newegg to waive it. :) I've never paid a restocking fee unless it was an item i just decided i didn't want, anything defective, I don't get a restocking fee. :)

Solution
I meant and know the restocking fee is if you simply want your money back. I deal with NewEgg about once a week, and I have nothing but praise for them and won't deal with other companies; I love their prices, selection an availability. Knock on wood, never ran across a denial.

I do see 'denials' however, in 99.999% (purer than gold) it's because the purchaser did something that no reasonable person or entity would accept. There's more to this OP's story than's being told.

viva_ron_paul

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
There's nothing more to this OP's story. Have laid it all out. All I do is repeat the same story because there's only one version. The one that happened. I'm glad, all of you have great success stories. In all honesty, I'm envious. Wish I could say the same. Like I said, went with them, because that's all I read. But now that I'm looking for it, I'm seeing stories like mine. Some looking legit others not, whatever. But nevertheless, it does happen. Just saying, it happened here!

viva_ron_paul

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
In closing. I thank all of those that actually tried to be helpful. I'll be a gentleman and leave it at that. Wanted to throw it out there to see public opinion. You all have swayed me and if I have buy again, I will do it with extreme scrutiny with Newegg. But as before, I will never buy a mobo without inspecting at purchase. The fact that many have such distrusting routines validates what I initially came here with. The situation is of online fine electronics is not a very trustable one. I guess it's ok with full built things or accessories. I'd probably consider drives, cables, monitors, even cpus. But the mobo, NO F-ING WAY.

My thanks go to the helpful and courteous and to the helpful and courteous only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS