Newegg Security Was Cracked by Hackers for Over a Month

rssbailey

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017
Hopefully they didn't know it was going on being as it was there for almost a month! I received the email from them saying I may be infected, and they are looking into it. Can say this, if my information I put on their secure site ends up costing me anything IE false charges etc. ill be contacting a lawyer!

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
So they were able to put their malicious javascript thing into the code running on NewEgg's server? If hackers can access, modify, and install code running on the server (like a programmer working for the company could do), we are doomed! LoL!

Even though I don't live in one of the states that was part of sales tax mess where NewEgg threw their customers under the bus, I've avoided them ever sense. Avoiding NewEgg is not always convenient, but Amazon and MicroCenter have gotten a lot more PC parts business from me. Note that I'm still paying sales tax to both those vendors too when I buy parts as well... In this case avoiding them worked out in my favor for another reason as well.

:lol::lol::lol:

Joseph57

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
I wrote to NE and had to ask them as to why I was not informed about their data breach, this is the reply:
Hello Joseph

I definitely understand your concern. However, at this time we are only notifying customers who through our internal investigation may have been affected by the data breach. We have only created a FAQ page on our website with useful information for any of our customers with concerns. I have included the link below for your convenience.

2018 Data Security Update & FAQ
https://kb.newegg.com/knowledge-base/2018-data-security-update-faq/

If you need further assistance, and have additional questions, or concerns, feel free to reach out.

Kindly

Derek Marshall
Public Image
Newegg.com
T 800.390.1119
I would think that like most reputable places, they would inform their customers asap with out me having to ask, and I am surprised that they make no mention of providing me with security coverage like other places do, like Equifax did.

Larmo-Ct

Reputable
Jan 17, 2016
I find this information very upsetting, because until recently. I was a big customer, and proponent of Newegg. I sourered on Newegg, when as one person mentioned here. They "Threw me under the bus", by reporting my purchasing history for a NUMBER of years. To the Tax authorities of my state, without my permission, or informing me, prior to doing it. While I will continue to purchase things from them. I definitely look elsewhere, when looking to purchase something, rather than automatically purchasing from Newegg. I don't mind having tax included in my online purchases, but I don't like being "blindsided" the way Newegg did, by "ratting me out". Lastly, I maintain a separate account for shopping online, and maintain a minimal balance. So that if my account is attacked. The thieves will only get a very small amount of money. Which my bank will reimburse me for, when they verify that the money was stolen from my account. I am extremely bothered, by the apparently nieve way, that the general public accepts Technology, for the sake of convenience. It's very convenient not to lock our doors, because we find using keys too much trouble to use. Using cash to pay for things, has become "such a burden" to many people now. They prefer to leave their money in the hands of companies and banks. That have proven that they are incapable of safeguarding their money. Governments and populations, are eagerly accepting the idea of a "cashless society". I'm sure that the criminals with the necessary skills, are rubbing their hands together, and salivating at the opportunities of the future.

Rexer

Distinguished

Wow. My breath escapes me. That's a huge amount of people with information suddenly naked. What was NCIX thinking? Free information, just grab and go. That's a hackers paradise.

Rexer

Distinguished

I'm waiting for someone to answer to your question. It's been a month. I want to buy a big, cheap SSD before China eats us with a tariff on electronics.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Heh, it's not China who imposed the tariffs.

Anyway, there should still be some good Black Friday deals on SSDs. And with flash prices said to fall in 2019, you might find that the price declines offset or even overtake the 25% tariffs set to arrive on January 1st.

Rexer

Distinguished

I stand corrected! Thank you. And thanks for answering.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

BTW, the 10% tariffs are already in effect, but I think China doesn't make much NAND flash for export (yet), meaning the tariff probably won't hit the full price (I think). Also, there was a rush by retailers and online shops to stock up inventory before the 10% tariffs hit, so not all prices yet reflect those.

I had the same feeling that I missed my chance at a good price on a popular wi fi router model. But, to my surprise, Amazon cut its price back down to its previous level, a couple weeks ago. Normally, I'd have waited to see if any better prices appeared around Black Friday, but this time I pounced.

The last thing to consider is the currency exchange rate. China's RMB has been dropping. Not enough to offset the 10% tariff, I think, but it helps.