[SOLVED] Newegg shuffle bundle... do I upgrade the whole system now?

May 20, 2021
Hello!

I'm fortunate to have been selected in the Newegg Shuffle. I just wanted a video card; I had to buy the card with a motherboard, the ASRock B550M STEEL LEGEND.

Now, bear with me and don't laugh: I'm pretty happy with my 10-year-old Dell XPS9000 on which I've upgraded the CPU to a Xeon X5690, the RAM to 24 Gb, and the power supply to 600W.

With my current Geforce gtx 1070, I am able to play FarCry 5 and GTA 5 at pretty decent graphics settings.
The new card, a Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT, will take my occasional gaming to a new level (I think).

Importantly, today I use this computer for work with really no noticeable issues: slack, google meet, google docs - that's all I need. Even an occasional local excel spreadsheet runs fine.
It's become a source of amazement, how this crazy old workhorse still meets my needs in this new day and age.

Now what would you do if you were me and why?

1. Just swap the video card, probably will take me 1 minute - if the rest ain't broke, don't fix it. And give away or resell the mobo.

2. Embark on an adventure of purchasing a CPU, RAM, maybe a new case while I'm at it... and on a day-long PC-building project

Thanks!

Solution
Hello!

I'm fortunate to have been selected in the Newegg Shuffle. I just wanted a video card; I had to buy the card with a motherboard, the ASRock B550M STEEL LEGEND.

Now, bear with me and don't laugh: I'm pretty happy with my 10-year-old Dell XPS9000 on which I've upgraded the CPU to a Xeon X5690, the RAM to 24 Gb, and the power supply to 600W.

With my current Geforce gtx 1070, I am able to play FarCry 5 and GTA 5 at pretty decent graphics settings.
The new card, a Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT, will take my occasional gaming to a new level (I think).

Importantly, today I use this computer for work with really no noticeable issues: slack, google meet, google docs - that's all I need. Even an occasional local excel...
Hello!

Importantly, today I use this computer for work with really no noticeable issues: slack, google meet, google docs - that's all I need. Even an occasional local excel spreadsheet runs fine.
It's become a source of amazement, how this crazy old workhorse still meets my needs in this new day and age.

1. Just swap the video card, probably will take me 1 minute - if the rest ain't broke, don't fix it. And give away or resell the mobo.

2. Embark on an adventure of purchasing a CPU, RAM, maybe a new case while I'm at it... and on a day-long PC-building project

Thanks!
At minimum, buy the graphics card to upgrade what you have. Sell the old card for 500-600 dollars on ebay if you want or keep as a backup. I would personally build a new system. Give a budget and I can point you in the right direction with both Intel and AMD based systems.

What is the exact PSU in the older computer?

Solution

stchman

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
Hello!

Thanks!

I have an old Core i7 3770 that I recently replaced(9 years of use) with the only upgrades being video card and SSD. Now my new system is much faster, but the old one is still no slouch.

The 6700XT video card from what I have read isn't going to be as big of an upgrade as you think.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Consider it along the lines of "don't know what you are missing".

Don't take it to say that working components that are performing properly for the task at hand should just be thrown over the fence when they reach a certain age.....however, the components that you could build that motherboard out with, and along with that GPU will be an astounding difference in performance for gaming and productivity.

Your current system will not make the best use of that GPU.

May 20, 2021
Consider it along the lines of "don't know what you are missing".

Don't take it to say that working components that are performing properly for the task at hand should just be thrown over the fence when they reach a certain age.....however, the components that you could build that motherboard out with, and along with that GPU will be an astounding difference in performance for gaming and productivity.

Your current system will not make the best use of that GPU.

Thank you. Well put.

By the way, I'm sure that my current Xeon-based system is already not making the best use of my GTX1070. It'll be even more of a bottleneck with the RX 6700XT.