Newegg "SuperCombo"

dant32

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Hey all, I've been working on a build for a few days and I just stumbled upon this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.722618
at newegg.com. My goal was to build a relatively new gaming pc that would be able to run some current games at max settings and be able to run anything new that's coming out in a few months (Skyrim and Diablo 3 come to mind). I did all the work and research and came up with a bundle that would cost me over $1000, and in the long run this ready-prepared combo seems to have everything that I would want.

My main question is: is this deal as good as it looks? Will this thing be a piece of crap in a few months?

And another thing I'm wondering, would I have trouble if I decided to sell the video card that comes with it and replace it with:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127582&Tpk=MSI%20N570GTX%20Twin%20Frozr%20III%20PE/OC%20GeForce%20GTX%20570%20%28&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=ejzx1dsd0qiu

I'm by no means an experienced builder, but I know the basics. I just don't want to make any wrong moves if I decide to replace any of these parts, because it seems to me that it's a way better deal than picking out individual, overpriced stuff on my own. I already know that if I go with the combo I'm buying a different case, but everything else is up in the air.

you would need a better PSU with that 570 video card, though its good for the single 560.

The single 560 is going to max out most games a 1920x1080 anyway.

the combo as presented is rather good and decently priced, although a bit of mix-n-match of smaller combos might get you a slightly better build, that one is pretty competitive.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Are you going to be able to resell the case? It costs 70$ which is pretty cloes to the combo discount. If you don't want to use all the parts I'd stick to some smaller bundled combos.

You are right about doing it your self compared to this package. However I think this package is designed to attract people who want a very inexspensive computer to play some easy games and surf the web. If you are looking for something to play serious games then you have to get stronger components. Having said that the only thing I like in that package is the Sandibridge 2500k. Maybe you should build something atound that but it might cost you more. Is $1000 your budget limit?

dant32

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011

I would say $1000 is my absolute limit. Right now I'm thinking about buying these parts separately and upgrading the graphics card to the MSI twin frozr III and PSU to something a bit more powerful. It would be around $950 before a case, though.

look for combos, and a higher quality 450W-620W PSU.
XFX, Corsair CX, Antec HCG, SeaSonic S12II are all in your price range and are higher quality than the Antec BP.

$600-700 should be a good intel 2400/2500/2500K, 8 GB RAM, a 1 TB HDD, a 6870 or 560, dvd burner, 520-620W PSU, an inexpensive case like the Rosewill Challenger or Antec 300.

Thats why the combo is a decent deal.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I'm still rocking a Core 2 Duo E8400 and ATI 4870 1Gb, and I game all the time. It's all about priorities.

The original kit looks like a damn solid build for the price, and the components all look solid (Kingston, Intel and ASUS and Antec all rate very highly in my books,) Kingston RAM has a lifetime warranty so if it ever takes a dump you send it back, what company does that nowadays besides knife or tool manufacturers?

All in all, this is piquing my interest, of course if you're looking to run an SLI, the power supply would be lacking, do Folding@Home , the CPU would be lacking, or play next year's hottest games at Ultra and 1920x1080 x16AA, then yeah, this is going to be lacking.

If you're looking for a solid kit at a good price, I don't think i'd have any qualms reccomending this.