[SOLVED] Newegg vs Gigabyte Z490 UD AC

Viorala

Reputable
May 20, 2019
FYI, Newegg is advertising the Gigabyte Z490 UD AC motherboard as having 1200 sockets but they are actually 1151 (version 2, I'm guessing, considering it's working with my i9-10850k cpu.)

That's according to the SIV (System Information View) program from Gigabyte. It came with the new drivers from their website.

edit: (Newegg blew me off about this btw, I talked to a CSR and a supervisor and neither understood about the socket and didn't care.)

Viorala

Reputable
May 20, 2019
On the Gigabyte site, I'm not seeing where it says the sockets are 1200, just that they support 10th gen Intel CPUs. So do the 1151 ver. 2 sockets, according to Tom's Hardware, "How to pick a motherboard" article.

But the Intel site says the CPU only fits 1200 sockets. Huh.

So why does this SIV software say the sockets are 1151?

Pretty funny if I spent over an hour talking to Newegg and none of us knew what we were talking about. LOL

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
On the Gigabyte site, I'm not seeing where it says the sockets are 1200, just that they support 10th gen Intel CPUs. So do the 1151 ver. 2 sockets, according to Tom's Hardware, "How to pick a motherboard" article.

But the Intel site says the CPU only fits 1200 sockets. Huh.

So why does this SIV software say the sockets are 1151?

Pretty funny if I spent over an hour talking to Newegg and none of us knew what we were talking about. LOL
You expect software to always be right?

If you look at the boards website, support, then CPU support it clearly says 1200.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z490-UD-AC-rev-10/support#support-cpu

Wolfshadw

Titan
Support for 10th Generation Intel® Core™ i9 processors/Intel® Core™ i7 processors/Intel® Core™ i5 processors/Intel® Core™ i3 processors/Intel® Pentium® processors/Intel® Celeron® processors in the LGA1200 package

Not familiar with this SIV software, but likely just hasn't been updated to recognize new processors.

I doubt that the CSR you spoke with had any idea what you were talking about. Just because they work for a computer store doesn't mean they know anything about computers. Trust me. As someone who often works in the Customer Service field, a lot of my co-workers couldn't tell you the difference between a power supply and a CPU. It's just not a requirement for the position.

-Wolf sends

" FYI, Newegg is advertising the Gigabyte Z490 UD AC motherboard as having 1200 sockets "

Actually, the Gigabyte Z490 UD AC motherboard has only one socket, not 1200. :)

Gigabyte motherboard software was likely not sufficiently updated for the lga1200 motherboards.

And, yes, Newegg does not do technical support; they are a marketing outfit.
The reps are there for marketing customer support.