Question Newer drivers are broken for the GTX 1060?

99StefanRO

Honorable
Oct 25, 2016
Hello!

I came back here with a bit of a problem. Over the course of some months I have observed the following: If I update the driver higher than windows update does after reinstalling the GPU, after a bit of time my computer crashes in a blue screen and the Device Manager shows the gpu with a warning triangle (that happens with 400+ drivers). But if I let it at 399, I experience no problems.

What could it be and how can I solve this problem? I hate using outdated drivers, but I also hate my computer crashing and reinstalling the drivers over and over again.
Are the drivers broken for the 1060?

They occur randomly, but mostly in games. They do not occur on the 399 driver version.

My full specs are:

1. PSU: nJoy Woden 750W 80+ Gold (Had a Corsair RM 550x, same problem)
  2. CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 stock
  3. Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 300
  4. RAM: TeamGroup T-Force Delta RGB 16Gb (2x8) DDR4 CL16
  5. GPU: MSI Armor GTX 1060 6gb DDR5x
  6. Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming B450M-Plus
  7. OS: Windows 10 Pro (The build/version does not affect in any way, I've went through many versions and still the same problem - Version 1903, Build 18362.356)
Please help, thank you!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Probably something to take up with Nvidia, they might want the log files from your system to identify a potential software problem. However, nothing says that it isn't your GPU that is the problem. Perhaps later drivers use some feature that your particular card has a problem with.

Have you tried underclocking the card a bit with the newer drivers? Might just be a simple stability problem that the updated driver emphasizes.

99StefanRO

Honorable
Oct 25, 2016
Probably something to take up with Nvidia, they might want the log files from your system to identify a potential software problem. However, nothing says that it isn't your GPU that is the problem. Perhaps later drivers use some feature that your particular card has a problem with.

Have you tried underclocking the card a bit with the newer drivers? Might just be a simple stability problem that the updated driver emphasizes.
Hi and thanks for the answer!

My GPU was in service this summer and I've got it replaced with a new one, however, the problem stayed the same...

And yes, I have tried OCing, no advantages gained sadly.. The problem was even worse when OCing..