News Newer Intel CPUs vulnerable to new "Indirector" attack — Spectre-style attacks risk stealing sensitive data; Intel says no new mitigations required

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
The article said:
Intel says current fixes are just fine.
Cynical take: the reason Intel doesn't want to mitigate is that they don't yet have any newer CPUs on the market. Once that changes, they might be all over mitigating this to slow down the older products, thus creating additional benefits for existing users who upgrade.

Reactions: iLoveThe80s

Skramblr

Reputable
Jun 5, 2021
I was thinking, WTF is 'nerfed'? Had to google it. Never heard that slang term before. Is this a common term and I'm just clueless?

t3t4

Prominent
Sep 5, 2023
Cynical take: the reason Intel doesn't want to mitigate is that they don't yet have any newer CPUs on the market. Once that changes, they might be all over mitigating this to slow down the older products, thus creating additional benefits for existing users who upgrade.
That would be exceptionally evil, if ever proven true. And if ever proven, I'd ban Intel for life from all my friends and family!

Skramblr

Reputable
Jun 5, 2021
Intel is going to sabotage their own product line to allow AMD to completely trounce them in benchmarks and completely dominate the CPU market. Really?

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
That would be exceptionally evil, if ever proven true. And if ever proven, I'd ban Intel for life from all my friends and family!
Maybe I'll look for it, but we've seen at least one example of when they've released a mitigation for a known vulnerability in previous-gen products sometime well after the vulnerability was known. I just don't recall if the announcement of the vulnerability happened before they launched anything newer. Even then, you can't ascribe intent just from that.

Anyway, let's see what happens with this one.