Question Newley installed Brother MFC J995DW printer works on my secured WIFI WITHOUT our password ?

Fredvon4

Commendable
Oct 10, 2021
I tested and can print from my Win 10 computers and from my Android phone via Brother App
Mildly concerns me if this Wifi connection is secure from neighbors. As far as I know it is not sending a SSID that I recognize on my computers.
Could this be used as front door into my secured by password WiFi network ?

When you set up all the things you use on wi fi did you have a keycode to put in so that your devices can access your modem or hub ?
EXAMPLE if you try to use say a new laptop on your wi fi set up it should ask you for your hubs security pin , it will then let you in , if it does this then your set up will be secure

Fredvon4

Commendable
Oct 10, 2021
No, the set up and driver disk CD managed the install, when I said yes to WIFI, it launched a wizard that had me go to printer control panel and start WIFI wizard, after several seconds the device name was offered as the only visible printer. I selected this and installer continued.
I never had to type any password.
I can find the printer MAC and IP codes on the printer info screens.
BTW on the printer Maintenance page there are several ways to set the TCP/IP, wired Ethernet, or WiFi-- manually including the WPS or WPS/ with pin . These were not used during setup with the Install disk.

Does your router have WPS enabled. Many times you can push a button on the router it will in effect let any device connect for a period of time. Carefully used this is a useful feature but you need WPS disabled in the router at all other times.

You can also put the WPS key into the remote device.

The problem is you can not change the WPS key and it is easily hacked if you leave the WPS feature turned on.

Fredvon4

Commendable
Oct 10, 2021
Linksys RE6500 range extender using changed SSID and WPA2 password set by me. All devices using this extender must select the SSID and enter the proper pass phrase. This printer set up the WIFI connection to my extender with out using the WPS button on the extender and never asking for the pass phrase. This printer does not show on my list of available WIFI networks. All my other networked WIFI printers do show.

TRENDING THREADS