Question Newly bought laptop might be under performing

Dec 31, 2020
I did a benchmark test on 3DMark in Time Spy and below are the results. The app shows the benchmark score to be below avg. Games like GTA 5 and Far Cry 4 hardly run at 60 to 70 FPS on max settings at 1080p. What could be the problem?

https://ibb.co/album/tp1Xsz

Specs:

RTX 3070 Mobile GPU (100W)
AMD Ryzen 5900HX
16 GB DDr4 (Single Channel 3200 MHz)
1 TB HDD + 256 GB SSD
144Hz 1080p display

Any kind of help will be really appreciated.

Dec 31, 2020
Videos are private.

Slow single channel ram will absolutely destroy performance.

Do not expect your laptop to perform like a desktop, with a full desktop 3070 and Ryzen 9.
Okay, what if I buy a good dual channel ram? How much increase in frames can I expect?

I never did, it's just that laptops with lower specs than mine have shown better performance in games and benchmarks.

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
Okay, what if I buy a good dual channel ram? How much increase in frames can I expect?

You need to install another RAM into the second slot to make it dual channel, you don't buy 'dual channel RAM'.

It's plugged in. Should I return the laptop?

If you still think performance aren't good then you should definitely choose to refund it over trying to upgrade your RAM or other components; it would be much easier and safer in that you don't risk damaging the laptop yourself and void warranty.

Reactions: New Year

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
60 FPS is too low for an RTX 30 series card, but since its a laptop...

Did you try updating the graphics drivers? You can download and install them from NVIDIA's official website.
It most likely because its a laptop that the performance of the GPU is being dragged back; they tends to use lot more RAM than Desktop (personal experience), and Original Poster only has 8GB of RAM.

Windows 10 and other background application is likely to have already used up 40% of it.

Dec 31, 2020
It most likely because its a laptop that the performance of the GPU is being dragged back; they tends to use lot more RAM than Desktop (personal experience), and Original Poster only has 8GB of RAM.

Windows 10 and other background application is likely to have already used up 40% of it.
I have 16 GB RAM, though it is single channel.

Dec 31, 2020
60 FPS is too low for an RTX 30 series card, but since its a laptop...

Did you try updating the graphics drivers? You can download and install them from NVIDIA's official website.
Even for a laptop, it is low. Yes I have updated to the latest drivers.

3D Mark benchmarks scores are higher than my 2nd laptop that has an RTX 3060 but FPS is lower with same graphics settings and resolution.