Question Newly Build PC Blue Screening

marcus8h

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2012
Hey everyone,

So I just built a new PC and it was running fine (though I didn't push it too hard). It originally had 16gb ram. I then bought another identical ram kit and installed it as well to make 32gb of ram. Not sure if thats the issue, but it could be relevant.

The issue is that whenever I am gaming or doing something intensive, theres the odd time it will Blue Screen and restart on me. Im not sure what is causing this. But I don't like the instability.

I ran memtest86 overnight and received no errors and all tests passed. So that rules out it being a bad stick right? I also have not modified any bios settings for the ram, just turned on XMP profile 1.

System:

I am going to assume its some sort of configuration setting but i am not sure. Any help would be great.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

So I just built a new PC and it was running fine (though I didn't push it too hard). It originally had 16gb ram. I then bought another identical ram kit and installed it as well to make 32gb of ram. Not sure if thats the issue, but it could be relevant.

Even though they are the same brand and speed does not mean they will work. Never a good idea to mix and match, always buy in complete sets.

The second issue is that you populated all 4 ram slots. This makes it very difficult to try and get to 3200MHz. With all four slots you'll default to 2300-ishMHZ ( I forget the actual speed).

You actually lose performance with the slower memory speed even though you have more physical memory.

Just install the 32GB set in slots A2 and B2 and see how it performs. Make sure XMP and PBO are enabled.

marcus8h

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2012
Even though they are the same brand and speed does not mean they will work. Never a good idea to mix and match, always buy in complete sets.

The second issue is that you populated all 4 ram slots. This makes it very difficult to try and get to 3200MHz. With all four slots you'll default to 2300-ishMHZ ( I forget the actual speed).

You actually lose performance with the slower memory speed even though you have more physical memory.

Just install the 32GB set in slots A2 and B2 and see how it performs. Make sure XMP and PBO are enabled.
There is no 32gb kit. I have 2 16 gb kits. They worked on their own. There must be a way to get all 4 sticks working together