Newly build PC is smoking on startup, please help!

May 17, 2018
So here is the story. I just got last parts I need and build them all together. Turned it on for the first, case fans were spinning for a second (didn't pay attention to cpu and gpu fans). Turned away to connect keyboard and mouse. In some 20 seconds I smelled something burning and there was a little bit of smoke coming from the top part of the case. I quickly pulled the power out. Looked like smell was most noticable at the top part of the mobo, where cpu is. Did not find any damage, checked connections, but almost everything is keyed and you cannot really mess it up I guess. So I deciced to try turning it on again to see and anything will happen at all. It did start with the same result, but never again. Nothing happens when I press the button.
So what can be the problem I how can I find it out? As I said, I don't see any physical damage. So far I have three possible victims:
1. PSU - passed paper clip test, cannot test the voltage
2. MoBo - maybe some manufactury failure, like in VRM?
3. CPU - because this is only used part in the build, and there were several bent pins in the corners, although it went in smoothly after I fixed them

My specs:
MSI - B350 GAMING PLUS
AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X
GeForce GTX 1060
Patriot - Viper 4 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Any ideas/suggestions?

Solution

There is always a chance it could be PSU - because passed paperclip test is not equal to PSU working fine - but in this scenario motherboard failure is much more likely. Of course if you happen to have any other PSU for a test (it could be even very low wattage unit, motherboard alone does not need much power), it would be helpful to do it. But if you don't have it, getting motherboard replaced is next step.
Remove it from case, connect only motherboard with PSU and CPU fan. Try starting it. If no reaction, and PSU passed paperclip test, then most likely motherboard has failed. Failed CPU is very unlikely to prevent motherboard from powering up.

May 17, 2018

I connected two cables to motherboard, the main one and for cpu, no response from either motherboard or psu. If motherboard is bad, could it still be caused by bad cpu? I don't want to break another one. Or the other way around, could bad motherboard damage other components on dying?

Try it also without CPU cable connected, just with 24-pin cable.
Both CPU damaging motherboard and motherboard damaging CPU are possible but uncommon. Unfortunately no way of getting to know if it happened to you without trying next motherboard. Remember a guy posting here on forums where his three consecutive builds got motherboard fried right on first start (with a flashy boom each time). So if you are unlucky, all kind of bad things can happen.

May 17, 2018

Still the same, no response. I should be able to replace this motherboard with the new one, since it is not working, right? I'll do it then and will hope for better.

There is always a chance it could be PSU - because passed paperclip test is not equal to PSU working fine - but in this scenario motherboard failure is much more likely. Of course if you happen to have any other PSU for a test (it could be even very low wattage unit, motherboard alone does not need much power), it would be helpful to do it. But if you don't have it, getting motherboard replaced is next step.

Solution
May 17, 2018

I don't have any other PSU, using laptop for last 7 years. Thank you for help, I will request new motherboard then. I hope it's not PSU issue, it is supposed to be a good one. One can never be sure of course.