Question Newly build PC lags on startup, audio "buzzing"

Jul 25, 2020
Hopefully someone a bit more knowledgeable than me has an idea what might be causing this. I've recently purchased a new PC which I've assembled myself. Everything except my SSD is brand new since the SSD is only about 6 months old anyway. Upon starting up my PC in the morning i experience lag which is quite noticeable for the first 30-60 minutes or so. Basically it's like the screen freezes for half a second every couple of seconds, and if I play any audio during this time it turns into static for short periods of time in between actually playing the audio, very similarly to the way the display is acting. It only ever seems to happen after it's fired up in the morning, later on in the day the issue is completely gone and it won't reappear even if I restart the PC.

Just some background (in case it might be the SSD causing this), I got this PC about two weeks ago because my old one just stopped working. It wouldn't boot up as intended but would instead go straight into blue screen with the error "Critical Process Died". After not managing to solve the problem I gave up and got a new PC instead, but naively enough I assumed the SSD would not be the cause of the issue since it was very new compared to everything else in that build. After building my new PC I fire it up and get the exact same error, proving that the SSD was indeed the issue, so I did a secure erase of the SSD and reinstalled Windows on it, after which it was working fine. Except for this issue.

I'll put down some specs in case anyone has had a similar issue with any of the pieces of hardware I am running in my build.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 5600 THICC II PRO
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 3600 MHz x 2 (Total of 16GB RAM)
Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO MAX
Power Supply: Corsair CV650

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Did you reinstall the OS after you migrated the SSD from the older platform? Are you able to go into BIOS and remain there indefinitely? Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update as well for the motherboard. I would also suggest that you backup any critical content from the SSD and reinstall the OS with a bootable installer made using Windows Media Creation Tools.

Make sure the SSD doesn't have more than one partition on it(apart from the ones that the OS creates for the system and reserved). You forgot to mention the make and model of the SSD as well.

Ralston18

Titan
Use Task Manager and Resource monitor to observe system performance.

Use both but only one at a time. Move the window to one side so you can watch what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using the resources.

Could be some app being launched at startup which is then trying to update, find a network resource, or even "phone home". Gives up/times out after some elapsed amount of time.

Jul 25, 2020
Did you reinstall the OS after you migrated the SSD from the older platform? Are you able to go into BIOS and remain there indefinitely? Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update as well for the motherboard. I would also suggest that you backup any critical content from the SSD and reinstall the OS with a bootable installer made using Windows Media Creation Tools.

Make sure the SSD doesn't have more than one partition on it(apart from the ones that the OS creates for the system and reserved). You forgot to mention the make and model of the SSD as well.

Yes, I reinstalled the OS on the new built after wiping the SSD through a secure erase. BIOS seems to be working fine (I have remained in there for 30 minutes or so at least), and it is updated.

The way you explain installing the OS is the way I have previously done it, through a USB with a copy of Windows 10 downloaded through Media Creation Tools. Is there any possibility a new installation could still be beneficial if done exactly the same?

I'm not sure how to go about checking the partitions, I googled it and managed to run some commandos in CMD, it shows 4 partitions but from what I can see when comparing it to the guy explaining it this looks fine? Anyway, I got a screen shot of it which I'll put in here. If you can verify it that would be much appreciated!

https://imgshare.io/image/disk.NR47wX <-- Link for the partition information

The SSD in question is a "Crucial BX500 480GB 2.5'' SSD".

I forgot to mention it earlier in case it might have anything to do with this (I'm guessing not though), but I am also using an older HDD (Seagate Barracuda 1TB) on the side. It's not in use much as I keep most of the files I have including the OS on the SSD though.

Jul 25, 2020
Use Task Manager and Resource monitor to observe system performance.

Use both but only one at a time. Move the window to one side so you can watch what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using the resources.

Could be some app being launched at startup which is then trying to update, find a network resource, or even "phone home". Gives up/times out after some elapsed amount of time.
I've tried opening up both separately and no software seems to be causing the issue unfortunately. The only thing that seems a bit off is that if I open up the task manager it starts with the CPU usage being quite high (Around 70%) within the first half second. It then sorts the list out showing whatever is causing the most CPU usage and the CPU usage drops to around 10%. Not sure if this is actually an issue or not seeing as it would mean there is something consuming a lot of CPU that closes down instantly whenever I open the task manager.

Also, I tried playing music in the background (because of how as I previously mentioned it tends to lag), and it acts the same with the task manager open.