• CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
  • RAM: G.Skill Aegis DDR4 3200 (2*8 Gb)
  • GPU: Radeon RX 590 "Fat Boy"
  • PSU: Corsair CX550
  • Drive: Crucial BX500 SSD
I will make a bulleted list of what I did/happened to make everything clearer
  • Assemble everything and proceed to power up the machine
  • Install Windows 10 from a USB.
  • During the Windows 10 setup (when asked to choose language and connect to wifi) the PC randomly restarts, and I get the screen from windows stating that connecting to the internet might solve the problem.
  • I do that and Windows set up continues as normal.
  • Once in Windows I proceed do download chrome and the GPU drivers.
  • During the installation of said drivers I get an error saying some files are missing, so the drivers cannot be installed. Shortly after the PC freezes.
  • I restart it, the PC boots up normally, but freezes again shortly after.
  • I restart it again and now I am stuck on the motherboard screen saying "Pro Series"
  • After wiping clean the SSD and re-making the Windows USB I'm now stuck in one of these two (equally [censored]) situation, depending on where I boot from:
    a) Boot from Windows 10 USB: I see the windows logo and the rolling dots underneat for like 3-5 seconds and the PC reboot itself (worth noting that it does the same thing using a Linux install USB)
    b) boot from SSD with windows 10 installed from another PC: I get the "reboot and select proper boot device" screen and cannot go further.
I already tried to switch the RAM sticks, disassebled everything, changed the CPU thermal paste and I have already Updated the BIOS to the latest version after doing a CMOS reset.

Feb 1, 2020
Hi all.
I have recently assembled a PC with this configuration:
  • MOBO: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
  • RAM: G.Skill Aegis DDR4 3200 (2*8 Gb)
  • GPU: Radeon RX 590 "Fat Boy"
  • PSU: Corsair CX550
  • Drive: Crucial BX500 SSD
I will make a bulleted list of what I did/happened to make everything clearer
  • Assemble everything and proceed to power up the machine
  • Install Windows 10 from a USB.
  • During the Windows 10 setup (when asked to choose language and connect to wifi) the PC randomly restarts, and I get the screen from windows stating that connecting to the internet might solve the problem.
  • I do that and Windows set up continues as normal.
  • Once in Windows I proceed do download chrome and the GPU drivers.
  • During the installation of said drivers I get an error saying some files are missing, so the drivers cannot be installed. Shortly after the PC freezes.
  • I restart it, the PC boots up normally, but freezes again shortly after.
  • I restart it again and now I am stuck on the motherboard screen saying "Pro Series"
  • After wiping clean the SSD and re-making the Windows USB I'm now stuck in one of these two (equally shitty) situation, depending on where I boot from:
    a) Boot from Windows 10 USB: I see the windows logo and the rolling dots underneat for like 3-5 seconds and the PC reboot itself (worth noting that it does the same thing using a Linux install USB)
    b) boot from SSD with windows 10 installed from another PC: I get the "reboot and select proper boot device" screen and cannot go further.
I already tried to switch the RAM sticks, disassebled everything, changed the CPU thermal paste and I have already Updated the BIOS to the latest version after doing a CMOS reset.
Your motherboard could be DOA. MSI makes terrible motherboards. The same exact thing happened to a friend of mine about a month ago.

Feb 1, 2020
How do I understand if thats the problem?
You could bust out a multimeter and test all of the contacts. If the motherboard is failing to get proper power then it's because there is an issue with either the motherboard or PSU.

MSI just kind of has that reputation to it.

ASK THE COMMUNITY