Question Newly build, previously working PC, stopped working?

Jul 22, 2019
Recently just built my first gaming PC, yesterday, booted it played on it for a day, left it to download games overnight and it switched itself off, so I switched it back on and let the download finish and then switched it off myself when I was done.

This morning I came to turn it on and it wouldn't turn on, I opened it up and double checked everything was plugged in right and it's exactly how I left it.

The fans wont even come on. Pressing the front panel start button does nothing.

Specs are:
CPU- AMD ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard- Gigabyte B450 Aorus M
GPU- Nvidia GTX 1060
RAM- 1x16Gb Corsair Vengence RAM
PSU- Corsair VS650

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Jul 22, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Please see this guide first, even if it has worked for a period previously: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

and then feedback. As a heads up, the VS series PSUs are not great quality (while the newer ones appear to be better but are still low end) and cause regular issues. But cover the guide in its entirety first.

I think you may be right with it being a PSU problem, I've tried steps relating to the front panel switch, and I'm very meticulous so I am certain everything is plugged correctly in to the motherboard. When I plug it in and switch on the PSU, the LEDs briefly switch on on the motherboard before going of, no fans spin and no other lights go on. Pressing the power switch is useless.

Any tips regarding fixing the PSU, I don't have another system I can test it in.

Should I return it and purchase a new one?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I think you may be right with it being a PSU problem, I've tried steps relating to the front panel switch, and I'm very meticulous so I am certain everything is plugged correctly in to the motherboard. When I plug it in and switch on the PSU, the LEDs briefly switch on on the motherboard before going of, no fans spin and no other lights go on. Pressing the power switch is useless.

Any tips regarding fixing the PSU, I don't have another system I can test it in.

Should I return it and purchase a new one?
First just try breadboarding the system: Remove all components leaving only, MB, CPU (and Cooler), 1 stick of RAM, and in your case, your GPU, with PSU. Removed from the case (to verify there are no shorts), and retry.

If you get absolutely nothing at that point, it would probably be a case of testing each bit of hardware.

As for testing the PSU, you can power it up without connecting it up and testing each rail with a multimeter, each rail should output the stipulated Voltage +/- 5%. A paperclip test will check if the PSU can start up, the multimeter checks if it is actually giving out the right voltage. Regardless, if it were me, I'd upgrade to a better quality unit anyway, the VS are a lower tier budget line PSU, and the older models caused many problems.