Status
Not open for further replies.

wontonzoup

Prominent
Dec 6, 2018
I built this computer sometime around November/December time. I have had zero issue of any sort or indication of any problems since then. On Monday night I was playing Apex Legends and my game crashed and restarted. I then got this blue screen. It rebooted a few times and then it started doing this bios backup and now it gets to this point and it just stops whilst preparing repair.

I have managed to get into the bios and tried resetting the bio to default, I have tried removing the cmos to clear anything from there, I have also tried doing a fresh install of windows via USB but again it just crashes and doesn't allow me to get past the asrock splash screen.

If anyone can help me understand what this issue could be and maybe rule out a few things...

I am devastated as I have spent a lot of money on this machine and any help would be truly appreciative.

Here's the specs of my machine:

Intel - Core i9-9900K

MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB GAMING X TRIO

ASRock - Z390 Taichi ATX LGA1151

Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 W

Noctua - NH-D15

Solution
Yeah that is bizarre. I would say that something could have got bent in the building process (pins on the motherboard, etc) but that doesn't seem to be the case here, and I'm not sure that a BIOS update would clear things. I would say that you should contact your motherboard manufacturer first and then see what they recommend and go from there.
Yep updating BIOS has extremly slim chance of solving the problem, I say try updating BIOS as it is free to do and if he is lucky will solve it. If not solved contacting is the second step I recommend and am sure that problem lies with mobo as one of systems I built had similar problem and had to RMA the board.

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
Your computer shut down to prevent data loss. So you either had a hardware failure, hard drive, memory, god forbid motherboard. Or your drivers to your hardware were corrupted. Did you update any drivers just prior to this crash? Try restarting the computer and hit f-8/shift f-8 on keyboard to see if you can get into revoery mode, from there go into safemode. From there you can check to see if any hardware is bad usin chkdsk, or update drivers one by one via device driver to see if you can correct the problem there.

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
Do you have a hard drive with os on it. If you can get into bios and change the boot up to that disc you may be able to fire it back up. Seems to me that if it cant do an auto repair your hard drive may have driver problem or died.

wontonzoup

Prominent
Dec 6, 2018
Thank you for the replies.

I cannot boot into safe mode. I only have access to the bios and windows 10 doesn't allow you to boot into safe mode from there. The furthest I can get to is the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen in which it freezes on.

I haven't done any driver updates recently.

Abstuurz

Proper
Feb 19, 2019
Can cause by corrupt hardware parts e.g. broken psu, hdd/ssd, gpu...voltage issues maybe overheating?
Try to remove GPU and use the connection on your mobo so you can check it if its the gpu. (Using the APU to test the GPU is a fine thing)
If possible maybe try another cpu if you have.
Maybe the cooler is not working fine and youre overheating the system.
Try a old/another ssd/hdd insteand of that m.2, remove it and try another if you can.

edit: go in bios and check the vcore which is the board giving to the cpu.
are both 12v cables near cpu connected? (atx 12v 4+4pol )

Feb 24, 2019
I built this computer sometime around November/December time. I have had zero issue of any sort or indication of any problems since then. On Monday night I was playing Apex Legends and my game crashed and restarted. I then got this blue screen. It rebooted a few times and then it started doing this bios backup and now it gets to this point and it just stops whilst preparing repair.

I have managed to get into the bios and tried resetting the bio to default, I have tried removing the cmos to clear anything from there, I have also tried doing a fresh install of windows via USB but again it just crashes and doesn't allow me to get past the asrock splash screen.

If anyone can help me understand what this issue could be and maybe rule out a few things...

I am devastated as I have spent a lot of money on this machine and any help would be truly appreciative.

Here's the specs of my machine:

Intel - Core i9-9900K

MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB GAMING X TRIO

ASRock - Z390 Taichi ATX LGA1151

Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 W

Noctua - NH-D15
oh just replace your ssd and reinstall windows from scratch I had the same problem with freezing when you reinstall everything make sure you download the motherboard bios drivers correctly with a usb and everything and it should work pretty sure your ssd is just trashed now or atleast mine is and it seems we both had the same problem

wontonzoup

Prominent
Dec 6, 2018
Can cause by corrupt hardware parts e.g. broken psu, hdd/ssd, gpu...voltage issues maybe overheating?
Try to remove GPU and use the connection on your mobo so you can check it if its the gpu. (Using the APU to test the GPU is a fine thing)
If possible maybe try another cpu if you have.
Maybe the cooler is not working fine and youre overheating the system.
Try a old/another ssd/hdd insteand of that m.2, remove it and try another if you can.

edit: go in bios and check the vcore which is the board giving to the cpu.
are both 12v cables near cpu connected? (atx 12v 4+4pol )

&

oh just replace your ssd and reinstall windows from scratch I had the same problem with freezing when you reinstall everything make sure you download the motherboard bios drivers correctly with a usb and everything and it should work pretty sure your ssd is just trashed now or atleast mine is and it seems we both had the same problem

I have tried a totally new SSD from my old computer and it crashes at the same part (On the Preparing Automatic Repair screen as seen above). I do not have a spare CPU or MOBO to test. The temps in the bios were 30C so it's not that the cooler isn't working.

I can't see how it would be the GPU as it shows me the bios, it shows me the windows loading screen just before it crashes, if it was the GPU surely it'd still boot into windows but it doesn't even do that. The bios is all set to default, the vcore if I remember correctly was like 1/1.1. These are the settings have worked fine for months beforehand.

I've come to the conclusion I will have to RMA the broken part, I just don't know which part is broken. My hunch is either the CPU or MOBO.. I'm leaning more towards the CPU.

Anymore help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Your CPU and mainboard support integrated video, correct? (As long as it's not a 9900KF variant)

Remove the GPU entirely, and let's try a delete partition/fresh install and test for stability with just one stick of RAM in required slot....

(If you have another functioning computer or access to one, try a different USB stick, and download/create a new bootable WIndows installation media...)

wontonzoup

Prominent
Dec 6, 2018
Well I have a bit of an update here.

I was trying to run a memtest on my computer to check if it could be a problem with the RAM. Randomly I decided to just disable all the cores apart from one and try and boot. It actually worked and I was able to boot into Windows completely fine. I was shocked that it worked and decided to go back into the BIO and incrementally increase the cores until I could no longer boot. I got up to 5 cores, anything over and my systems refuses to boot into windows. Does this basically mean a defective CPU that I will need to RMA?

g-unit1111

Titan
Well I have a bit of an update here.

I was trying to run a memtest on my computer to check if it could be a problem with the RAM. Randomly I decided to just disable all the cores apart from one and try and boot. It actually worked and I was able to boot into Windows completely fine. I was shocked that it worked and decided to go back into the BIO and incrementally increase the cores until I could no longer boot. I got up to 5 cores, anything over and my systems refuses to boot into windows. Does this basically mean a defective CPU that I will need to RMA?

Have you tried just running on default settings and see what it does? If you run it on default and it still refuses to boot into Windows, then I would start to get concerned. It's very difficult to RMA a CPU, but there could be any number of factors that could cause your system not to boot. But I'd start with running on defaults first.

wontonzoup

Prominent
Dec 6, 2018
Have you tried just running on default settings and see what it does? If you run it on default and it still refuses to boot into Windows, then I would start to get concerned. It's very difficult to RMA a CPU, but there could be any number of factors that could cause your system not to boot. But I'd start with running on defaults first.

I've always ran it on default BIOS settings. I have clear the CMOS and loaded default BIOS settings as well just to make sure. Just on a whim I decided to try using only one core and I was able to boot into windows. I can go up to 5 cores, anything after and it just crashes and doesn't boot.

g-unit1111

Titan
I've always ran it on default BIOS settings. I have clear the CMOS and loaded default BIOS settings as well just to make sure. Just on a whim I decided to try using only one core and I was able to boot into windows. I can go up to 5 cores, anything after and it just crashes and doesn't boot.

Yeah that is bizarre. I would say that something could have got bent in the building process (pins on the motherboard, etc) but that doesn't seem to be the case here, and I'm not sure that a BIOS update would clear things. I would say that you should contact your motherboard manufacturer first and then see what they recommend and go from there.

Yep updating BIOS has extremly slim chance of solving the problem, I say try updating BIOS as it is free to do and if he is lucky will solve it. If not solved contacting is the second step I recommend and am sure that problem lies with mobo as one of systems I built had similar problem and had to RMA the board.

Solution

g-unit1111

Titan

I agree, I'd say the issue is more likely with the motherboard than with the CPU. Of course the only way to test that is to buy another CPU or RMA the motherboard. It's way harder to damage the CPU than it is to damage the motherboard. Those really are your only options.

Status
Not open for further replies.