[SOLVED] Newly built AMD, B550 gaming PC won't post - not sure why...

TrevorIJones

Prominent
May 30, 2019
Hi Guys,

I’m hoping someone can help me. I’ve built a gaming rig from the components below but it won’t post. It’s boots to the point where the GPU fans ramp up and then it just goes into a dormant state. All the fans run (CPU case), lights on the Mobo, but it doesn’t do anything else.
I initially thought it may be the RAM but I’ve been told it should be supported by the CPU/Mobo. I can’t find it on the official memory list from Gigabyte;

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_b550-aorus-elite_200520.pdf

I’ve re-seated the RAM, used the recommended slots and just one stick, makes no difference.

When I installed the CPU and coolermaster I used a bit too much thermal paste. When I removed the CPU to check I did find a bit of excess paste around about 8 of the pins on one side, so I used a small cloth/brush to get 90% of this off, just a tiny amount round the base of the pins now, more like a smear/stain. Put everything back together but same results and no pins are bent.

I’ve tried without the GPU in but it hasn’t made a difference…

Bit out of idea’s but I’m still thinking RAM. I was thinking of buying some slower 3200Mhz Corsair vengeance LPX RAM as this is on the supported list. Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

SPEC

CPU:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Mobo: Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE
GPU: Palit Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
RAM: 32GB (2 X 16GB) DARK Zα DDR4 GAMING MEMORY (FOR AMD) 3600Mhz
M.2 SSD Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB M.2
PSU: CORSAIR TX-M Series TX750M
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Glass Midi Tower Case - Black
CPU FAN: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Ed. Intel/AMD CPU Cooler

Solution
Did you get thermal paste into the pin sockets...?

Breadboard the parts, with the bare minimum. While system is powered down and disconnected from the wall, remove the CMOS battery and replace it after 15 minutes, see if that helps.

TrevorIJones

Prominent
May 30, 2019
Thank's Lutfij,

Will give that a go. I couldn't see any paste in the sockets, but it's quite difficult to see. What's the best method of removing if I had? Wouldn't there be no power to the wider mobo if the pins were blocked?

Aug 13, 2020
I had a similar issue, one that embarrasses me quite a bit. I connected my monitor to the motherboard (because I figured I'd need drivers for the gpu before I could use it). That day I learned the value of onboard video. Assuming you're having a similar issue, try moving from the motherboard video output to the gpu video output.

TrevorIJones

Prominent
May 30, 2019
Did you get thermal paste into the pin sockets...?

Breadboard the parts, with the bare minimum. While system is powered down and disconnected from the wall, remove the CMOS battery and replace it after 15 minutes, see if that helps.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the advice. I ended up breadboarding the mobo and components as suggested. Booted it up with minimal connections and it worked! Got it back in the case with no issues! Only think I can think is there was a loose connection somewhere or it wasn't liking how it was mounted in the case! In future I'll breadboard before putting it in the case. Thanks guys, your advice really helped!