Newly built computer crashes while streaming video

binaryvoid

Honorable
May 30, 2012
Hey everyone,

So i'm having a problem where my computer freezes when I watch mainly you tube. It doesn't happen all the time though. I have played games for hours and no crash, but right after I go to watch something on you tube and the 5 minutes in it crashes and the only way to get out is to hold down the power button. I just built my computer last week and am fairly new to it. It also crashed once while playing a video on steam, both are flash based. Most people in the forums say that crashes are mainly due to memory issues. I haven't run memtest86 yet, but I ran the basic memory test that comes on windows 7 and it came up with no errors. I also thought re installing the video driver might be a good idea, but I don't want to make it worse, because its only videos right now. I use HWmonitor to check my temps and they all seem fine, nothing has gotten above 60 under load so i dont think that is the issue. I have had no issues besides while streaming video which seems weird to me. Any help would be appreciated THANKS!

system specs:

intel i7 - 3820
gigabyte UD3 motherboard lga 2011
gigabyte Radeon 7850
16Gb Gskill RipJaws Z (4X4) 2133 - (It does it in xmp profile 1 which it is supposed to be used in and in the standard preset setting)
CM 800 watt silent pro gold
and I have a normal disk drive and HDD

binaryvoid

Honorable
May 30, 2012
I originally came across the problem in IE so I downloaded chrome and the same problem happens. Flash player is actually built into chrome now so you don't even need the flash player install with it, but it still freezes. I think that it is software as well, but I don't really know what to do. I tried a registry cleaner as well which didn't help. Ive also reinstalled and uninstalled flash player twice now deleting all of the files manually like they say to on there website. It just seems weird that it only locks up when im watching a video, but not while playing games. Sometimes I can watch whole 15 minute videos and be fine and other times it freezes in the first 10 seconds of a video.

- as an update I just ran netflix for the first time on this computer, which didnt cause a freeze. So far ive continued to get the same lock up from youtube. I don't know what else to do, very lost.

It does sound Flash-related. Netflix is based on Silverlight, and none of these programs should even come close to taxing your hardware. As for a solution, I'm not sure; I don't deal with software-related problems on a regular basis.

Anaximander

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007

Hmm, I had a computer with a Video card on it's way out do this same thing. Video games played flawlessly, (Fallout:NV, Oblivion, BG I-II, Doom 3, NWN 2, Battlefield 1942-veitnam-II, and many others) Flash video however would turn green and/or just freeze the computer in it's tracks. Might be worth your while downloading Furmark or some other GPU stress testing tool to see if any errors come up.

binaryvoid

Honorable
May 30, 2012
I have been running furmark for the past 20 minutes and nothing yet. The graphics card hasn't even gotten past 61 degrees yet even though its running at 99% usage and the fan is only at 47% lol. I think I'll uninstall the driver in a little bit and then go to the ati website instead of gigabyte and see if that helps. can I uninstall drivers from the device manager I haven't had to do this before?

Anaximander

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007
You should be able to uninstall the drivers from either the device manager or usually a little more ideal; Programs and Features under Control panel/Programs (That is if you didn't do a totally manual install)

Gigabyte eh? Makes me wonder if you're running the latest drivers... Went and took a look at their site, the drivers seem to be about 3 months old compared to what would be the latest from the ATI site. Never know, might work.

Edit: Just finished playing around with OCCT (GPU/System stress tester), not saying it'll help you along any more than furmark but does seem to be full-featured. Heats up the card I have quite a bit faster than furmark, (Hit 95c in 3 minutes, card started to throttle itself at 110) at least in error check mode.

binaryvoid

Honorable
May 30, 2012
right now i'm playing videos without any driver accept the basic vga driver from microsoft that is always there to see what happens. I'm 20 minutes into a video and it hasn't frozen yet but sometimes that happened before. I wish there was an easier way of testing something like this, its very time consuming and I don't know if im just getting a lucky run or if it's actually working.

binaryvoid

Honorable
May 30, 2012
Im starting to get the feeling it is a driver issue. I've been playing videos with the basic vga driver for the past hour and no crash, which it has never done, my last record was 45 minutes lol. It usually freezes within the first 10 minutes, but with something like this i have no idea. ill probably let it run for another hour just to be sure and then download the one off the ati website.

- also is it possible that certain resolutions could do something like this because thats the only other thing that has changed besides the removing the gigabyte driver.

Anaximander

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007

I'm not gonna say it's impossible, highly unlikely though in that I've never heard or experienced Flash being THAT wonky, lol.

binaryvoid

Honorable
May 30, 2012
Okay well I got my hopes up there, everything was good I actually finished like 2 and a half videos and then it froze again after downloading the driver from the ATI site so... now im stuck and don't know what to do. It was working fine on the basic driver so I still feel like it is related to that somehow idk I need help.

Anaximander

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007

Tried the beta/earlier versions of flash yet?
Don't happen to have another Video card laying around in which you could try?
Fully updated your chipset drivers?
Also, Memtestx86 is a bit more comprehensive than the windows memtest I've found, although it really doesn't sound like a problem with RAM.

binaryvoid

Honorable
May 30, 2012
I haven't tried firefox yet, I tried the beta of the newer flash player and have uninstalled and reinstalled flash player multiple times now so it might not directly be flash player but just somehow connected to it idk, I don't have another video card laying around, might be able to borrow one from a friend though. I would have a professional IT place to take it to at school but out for the summer so thats like 2 and a half months away and if I found out its hardware related somehow I'm not sure if I could send it back that far from now. The fact that it works fine when I use the basic driver really gets me. Ill call the ATI place in the morning and talk to their tech support and see if they have any ideas.