Newly Built Computer Does Not Turn On

zeffof

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Yeah, my freshly built PC will not turn on, it's my first time and I am afraid one of my parts has gone bad. The building experience was smooth, except for the damn Hyper 212 heatsink that refused to screw into it's sockets. Well anyways, everything has been plugged in, the power supply switch on the "Line", and even checked to see if I was missing anything but my computer will not turn on. There's not even a light, and I don't even think power was running in the system at all, no sounds, no fans, nothing. I'm really stumped and have tried to find a solution on Google. I'm scared that it might either be the motherboard or the cpu because I was fussing with the heatsink so much or it might even be a bad power supply I don't even know. I've tried turning it on with different memory configs and even removed the video card so I'm pretty much clueless. Please help me figure out what the heck is wrong.

Specs:
MSI P67A-GD65 Mother Board
i5 2500k
AX750 Power Supply
GTX 560 Ti
8gb (2x4gb) Corsair Vengeance RAM
NZXT Gamma Classic Case
WD Caviar Black 1TB Hard Drive
Lite-On Lightscribe DVD Writer
Hyper 212 Heatsink

Ok, relax first :)
working on anything while stressed is usually a bad idea hehe,
first check the fuse in the plug for psu and that the wall socket is working ok, plug a tv or something into that,
then run through section three> http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/288241-13-read-posting-buyer-guides-troubleshooting (including the psu switching on with a paperclip test)
see if you've missed anything out, let us know any progress or lack of :)
Moto

zeffof

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Well I just tested my psu with the paper clip and and have found out the PSU was DoA, but before I RMA it. I'm going to test my other components with an older working PSU.

zeffof

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Sure thing, I'm hoping I didn't short my mobo/cpu by fussing with the heatsink AND working on carpet, yes i know :(, but i'm at work right now so once I get home i'll try my parts with the old psu.

zeffof

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
The issue seems to be my PSU, I plugged in my 250W PSU and the fans spun, with the additional case fan, while my AX750 failed to do so. However, I don't know if I will be able to test my other parts using such a low wattage PSU. Can anyone confirm this? It has a 20-pin motherboard connector, could I use that plus another separate 4-pin connector into my motherboard or would that turn out bad? Is it enough wattage? I want to make sure my PSU isn't the only thing that's dead so I can RMA the defects all in 1 go.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I doubt your 250W power supply even has enough connectors for the 560ti. If your "spare" psu has a 20+4 power connector then that should be fine for everything except video. If you have a PCI (not PCI-x) video card you should be able to power on the system and maybe install windows. If you connect the 560 using the power converter cables I wouldn't attempt anything more taxing than power on and entering the bios screen.