Question Newly built computer, having issues.

Nov 14, 2022
Hello All,

I recently built a gaming PC. I have probably built around 10 of them in the last 20 years, so I am not new at this, but definitely not an expert. These are the specs:
i5-13600KF
Cooler Master Hyper black 212 heat sink and fan
Asus Z790 Prime MOBO
Nvidia 3090 FE edition
32 GB G Skill Trident DDR5-6000 ram
Crucial MX500 2TB SSD
Corsair RM1000x power supply

After I built everything and plugged it all in, the computer posted and I went into the BIOS. I had my mouse plugged at the time, but not the keyboard. I was able to change some options in the BIOS. I then went and saved the changes, plugged in my key board, and restarted the PC. The only options I changed in the BIOS was putting Intel XMP on and some hard drive speed booster. This time the computer got to the initial ASUS screen and stated to hit DEL/F2 to go back into BIOS. My USB keyboard's lights were on so it was receiving power, but it was not recognizing any of my key strokes. I could not get back into BIOS. I then plugged the keyboard into a bunch of the different ports on the mother board, including the one on the far left as that one usually gets priority. Still didn't work. I then went and got a USB to PS/2 converter to see if that would work. It did not. I tried this with 3 different keyboards that do work on my other PC. I then tried clearing the CMOS ram by shorting the jumper. Still didn't change anything.

Next, I started taking parts out to test things piece by piece. The first thing I took out was the 3090. I then plugged my monitor directly into the MOBO DP and HDMI port, but now the monitor was not getting a signal.

I am pretty sure I am going to need a new mother board. I am just wondering if there are any other steps I could that I am potentially missing. I know I can take out the battery to clear the memory, but thats all I can think of before having to get a new MOBO.

Thank you for your help and time!

Richj444

Prominent
May 25, 2022
Hello All,

I recently built a gaming PC. I have probably built around 10 of them in the last 20 years, so I am not new at this, but definitely not an expert. These are the specs:
i5-13600KF
Cooler Master Hyper black 212 heat sink and fan
Asus Z790 Prime MOBO
Nvidia 3090 FE edition
32 GB G Skill Trident DDR5-6000 ram
Crucial MX500 2TB SSD
Corsair RM1000x power supply

After I built everything and plugged it all in, the computer posted and I went into the BIOS. I had my mouse plugged at the time, but not the keyboard. I was able to change some options in the BIOS. I then went and saved the changes, plugged in my key board, and restarted the PC. The only options I changed in the BIOS was putting Intel XMP on and some hard drive speed booster. This time the computer got to the initial ASUS screen and stated to hit DEL/F2 to go back into BIOS. My USB keyboard's lights were on so it was receiving power, but it was not recognizing any of my key strokes. I could not get back into BIOS. I then plugged the keyboard into a bunch of the different ports on the mother board, including the one on the far left as that one usually gets priority. Still didn't work. I then went and got a USB to PS/2 converter to see if that would work. It did not. I tried this with 3 different keyboards that do work on my other PC. I then tried clearing the CMOS ram by shorting the jumper. Still didn't change anything.

Next, I started taking parts out to test things piece by piece. The first thing I took out was the 3090. I then plugged my monitor directly into the MOBO DP and HDMI port, but now the monitor was not getting a signal.

I am pretty sure I am going to need a new mother board. I am just wondering if there are any other steps I could that I am potentially missing. I know I can take out the battery to clear the memory, but thats all I can think of before having to get a new MOBO.

Thank you for your help and time!
That "hard drive speed booster" you enabled sounds like fast boot, which doesn't start USB functions until Windows is loaded. You should definitely clear CMOS either with the jumper or by removing the battery, see if that helps.