Newly built Computer shutting down right after boot

faromic

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Hi all,
I'm new. My first post here. I just built a computer for my bro-law.
Parts:
ASUS P5n32-E SLI Mobo
2 GB Gskill RAM
Intel E6600 2.4 GHz CPU
EVGA 8800 GTS Video Card.
2 samsung sata dvd burners
and seagate sata HD

Anyways, when I start it up, it shuts down after a couple seconds. Sometimes it's 5 seconds. The longest it's stayed on is 30 seconds, while getting into the windows setup. I verified the CPU fan (stock) is secured and really have no idea why this is happening. I can't pinpoint why it's occuring because it's not at the same exact time each boot. I've been trying to figure this out for a couple days, but I'm totally stumped. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
well, a great place to start is listing the PSU :)
it looks like thats the problem, those are the symptoms a PC suffers from inadequite power USUALLY.

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
List all your specs...
1.Did you Oc?
2.What's the temp for NB and CPU (in bios)
3.Have you tried minimal booting (no drives, 1 piece of ram, default bios settings)
4.Have you tried powering it outside the case? Perhaps there's short circuit(s), who knows?
5.Is it possible to test the hardwares using other PC?

faromic

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I have a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W EPS12V

1. I didn't oc
2. The MB is 31 C and the CPU is 109 C. I think it's the CPU overheating.
3. not yet
4. If it's a short would it even post?
5. no

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

You think? LOL

Reseat the HSF as i suggested before there is no way you have the HSF on correctly... if you are using "pin and twist" cooler than MAKE CERTAIN all pins are fully through board, this is best done before mounting M/B in case

faromic

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Yup, just wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy. The cpu should be around 40, right? I checked before I mounted the board. I don't know wtf happened. I'll take it out and reseat it. I've always had problems with the stock hsf.