Newly built computer will not power on

crand

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to look at my post. I am having trouble with getting my computer to turn on. Everything seems to be connected right and when I flip the switch on the PSU on nothing happens. The motherboard lights up but it will not power on once I push the power button. It is very odd to me as I have triple checked the front panel connectors. I ensured the 8 pin and 24 pin are seated right also. Also, I took a look at the compatible ram with the mobo and all the numbers match besides the version number is that a big deal? Below are my specs. Any help is greatly appreciated it.

Intel i5 4690 (new)
Evga GTX 770 (used)
Asus VII hero mobo (new)
Crucial 480 GB SSD (new)
Corsair h80i (new)
Corsair 16 GB (new)
Corsair hx750 (used)
Corsair 600t case (new)

Thank you in advanced.

crand

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
Thanks for your fast reply. I will check out the voltage meter when I get home. Below is a pic of the voltage reader I got. I will try the one in the video as well. Also I have tried the pin trick and it spins but then stops after a few seconds.

2wf457m.jpg

2u9u5aw.jpg

beefy

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
Hi,

O.K. I have a meter like that which i use just as a quick check,mine gives actual voltages on screen and a pg rating but I`d rather you do the 1 with the paper clip and the multimeter, you`ll need to put it under load by attaching a fan to the psu and the paper clip goes on the big connector that attaches to the mobo,If I remember correctly it`s the green and black wire but the video will tell you. If it spins up and dies when wired like in the video then I would think you will know were the problem lies. Post back with your findings.

crand

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
So I took it to a friends house pulled out his hx 750 and my computer attempted to boot. Everything seemed to work okay on it. I then attempted to use my PSU to boot up his and it did not work. So I am going out and buying a new PSU today. I guess that voltage reading was not correct after all. I want to thank you for bringing the PSU to my attention. Thanks

beefy

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
Hi,

Glad to hear you have got to the bottom of it,I have a ThermalTake Dr Power II which is a bit different then the tester you have got. It tells me voltage real quick but also gives me a pg rating which tells you if the PSU is powering up right. If you buy many second hand PSU`s it might be an investment,even new ones can be dodgy and I would rather test a PSU then sticking straight in and blowing the other components. Anyway I hope you can return the faulty PSU to where it came from.

regards.