[SOLVED] Newly built gaming rig, games keep crashing

Apr 3, 2020
I recently built a new gaming rig after my PC from 6 years ago started to slowly die on me.
I've been experiencing some of my games crashing, some more than others, and I have attempted to solve the problem myself but am all out of ideas and would like someone else's opinion.

My specs are as listed:

CPU: Intel i7-9700k
AIO: Corsair H100x
GPU: Nvidia 2070 Super Hybrid (Has a built in 120mm cooler)
MOBO: Asus Prime z390-a
RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengence DDR4-3200MHZ
MEM: Samsung 970 evo M.2 SSD & Seagate Barracuda 2TB HHD
PSU: EVGA BQ 600W Bronze
OS: Windows 10 Pro (I did originally download it off of a flashdrive before buying the full version if that has any affect)
CASE: Fractal Meshify C (I'm currently only using one of the case fans instead of two as I am waiting on an extension cable to come in the mail)

I'm also currently using two BenQ monitors, one 60Hz and one 144Hz

My only theory so far is that my PSU does not have enough wattage to keep up with the workload I put it under. When I originally bought it I tried to save a few bucks by going with this PSU over one with a better rating or wattage, however I didn't take into account the fact that I would be running a 240mm cooler, 120mm cooler, extra case fan and two monitors all at the same time.

I have also noticed that when I first power on my PC it does not load up so I have to turn it off and back on before it properly boots, not sure if that means anything. Another thing is that some of the RGB that comes stock with my MOBO is not working. There is a main RGB spot that has never turned on underneath the plastic shroud in the top left corner, and a smaller RGB that is covered by my GPU that is functioning properly, again don't know if this is just a defect of the MOBO or could possibly diagnose a potential issue.

For the games that have crashed on Steam I've already verified the integrity of the game files and even re-downloaded them but the problem continues to occur, and like I said certain games are crashing more than others. At the same time I've had games that haven't crashed at all.

I'm not currently running any overclock when the games do crash, however I have tested overclocks on my GPU with MSI Afterburner and benchmarked on MSI Kombustor with no issues.

Any suggestions on what my issue might be are very welcome, thanks!

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
Let me let you in on some information - EVGA is a bargain bin manufacturer. The single most important component on ANY PC build is the power supply period. Buy Seasonic and you will never have issues. I have Seasonic PS that has been running 10 years continuously - and still runs like the day it was new - regulation still tight, all rails spot on.

I would not touch EVGA/Corsair with a 10 ft pole.

So on occasion, you start the PC - and it gets past the BIOS screen and leaves you with a blinking "_"? I have had that issue once or twice on an older system - but when you reboot - loads windows fine... For whatever reason the boot drive (SSD) was not ready... don't really think that is a PS issue - I would have bought a good PS over than shoddy AiO (all AiOs are shoddy)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Did you reinstall Windows?
I know you said you downloaded W10 off a flashdrive and such, but if you did not reinstall the OS after changing the motherboard and carrying over your old C drive, then I suggest doing that.
If you have any important files on that C drive, then back them up, or copy them over to another drive if you have one.

Apr 3, 2020
Let me let you in on some information - EVGA is a bargain bin manufacturer. The single most important component on ANY PC build is the power supply period. Buy Seasonic and you will never have issues. I have Seasonic PS that has been running 10 years continuously - and still runs like the day it was new - regulation still tight, all rails spot on.

I would not touch EVGA/Corsair with a 10 ft pole.

So on occasion, you start the PC - and it gets past the BIOS screen and leaves you with a blinking "_"? I have had that issue once or twice on an older system - but when you reboot - loads windows fine... For whatever reason the boot drive (SSD) was not ready... don't really think that is a PS issue - I would have bought a good PS over than shoddy AiO (all AiOs are shoddy)

Thanks for the tips, and yeah I should've looked into the PSU I was getting a little more before I bought it. That's just a mistake on my end trying to save a little money however I do plan on switching it out for a better one in the near future.

Also about the booting issue im having: When I first fire up my PC everything comes on, inside of my case lights up, my keyboard lights up, etc, and the Asus logo is displayed on my monitor. Then the lights that usually indicate my mouse and keyboard being on turn off and it doesn't change from showing the Asus logo on my screen. At that point I just shut my pc off and turn it back on, and then it proceeds to boot properly.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Apr 3, 2020
Did you reinstall Windows?
I know you said you downloaded W10 off a flashdrive and such, but if you did not reinstall the OS after changing the motherboard and carrying over your old C drive, then I suggest doing that.
If you have any important files on that C drive, then back them up, or copy them over to another drive if you have one.

I haven't tried reinstalling Windows but I have ran the Windows memory diagnostic with everything checking out fine. If I'm all out of luck after trying my hand at a few other solutions I'll reinstall it.
Thanks!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Windows memory diagnostic
Instead of that, I would suggest Memtest86 free version: https://www.memtest86.com/
Windows Memory Diagnostic isn't as thorough as Memtest, and can actually MISS errors that would otherwise be found by the latter.
It takes a few hours, so I'd suggest running it overnight. The results should be error-free, and without system hangs or crashes.

Solution
Apr 3, 2020
Instead of that, I would suggest Memtest86 free version: https://www.memtest86.com/
Windows Memory Diagnostic isn't as thorough as Memtest, and can actually MISS errors that would otherwise be found by the latter.
It takes a few hours, so I'd suggest running it overnight. The results should be error-free, and without system hangs or crashes.
I know its been a little bit but I ran Memtest and found out my second 8gb stick of ram was causing all of the issues. Took it out and my PC fired up no problem way faster than it had before. Thanks for your help!

Reactions: Phaaze88

TRENDING THREADS