Question Newly built gaming system, barely powers on?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 7, 2020
My son and I just finished building up a new gaming system: Intel i9-10900K, ASRock Z490 Extreme4 motherboard (Socket 1200), EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Super graphics card, 2GB SSD, 850W Power Supply.

The big day came, we turned on power. Many LEDs lit up inside. Pressed the power switch on top of the NZXT 510 case, a white ring around that power button lit up for about half a second, then went dark again. The inside LEDs stayed lit up, but it did nothing further. Never any signal to the monitor, or other signs of life, just the internal LEDs staying on.

Checked all cables, found one (6-pin CPU Power cable) from power supply, not connected to the motherboard. The 4-pin CPU cable next to it on the motherboard, was correctly plugged in. Plugged the 6-pin cable in in, powered up again, same behavior: Internal LEDs came on and stayed, and when I pressed the power switch on the case, white ring lit up for maybe 1/2 second and went out again. Pressed the power button on the case again, nothing, this time the white ring didn't even light up for 1/2 sec.

Only way I can get the ring around the power switch to light up even briefly, is to turn off the main switch on the power supply, turn it back on, and then press the power button on the case again. White circle there lights up briefly and goes out, and won't respond to more button-presses.

Does this ring a bell with any of you experienced system builders? Can anyone say, "Oh, that happened to my system too, here's what turned out to be wrong with mine etc." ?

Jul 7, 2020
Well, my son is having a blast with his new toy. He's heavily into video game design and development, which is the purpose of this new machine. He's learning Unity and Unreal Engine 4 and several other platforms. He took an Unreal Engine 4 course, the teacher praised him to the skies, even though his old laptop kept overheating and shutting down.

Now we have this machine that should only overheat during a nuclear attack, and maybe not then. But I'm interested in doing something with it that will drive it to its limit, or pretty close, so we can find what its limit is.

One way might be to find a movie or other file recorded in 1440p at a 144Hz rate. Apparently no movies or broadcasts are done in those parameters, but some video game creators write games that do them sometimes. I guess I'm hoping to find where someone made such a video sequence, recorded it somehow (do .mp4's retain such parameters when recorded, if they are made that way?) Is there another way to record a file that can play back with those characteristics? Has anyone ever seen or heard of one?

Maybe we could set up a utility that measures junction temperature, or overall CPU temperature where it contacts the CPU cooler, or other such critical temperature and displays it in one corner of the screen. Then take the 1440p 144Hz movie or game file and play it over and over, and let the temperature climb.

Anyone ever heard of such a file?

Of course, the graphics card would be pretty busy playing back such a file, but it won't be generating the graphical elements of the file, only reproducing their appearance, so maybe that's not a complete test.

Anybody heard of a way to drive a graphics card and CPU hard?

Last edited:

gdds_01

Reputable
May 5, 2020
Well, my son is having a blast with his new toy. He's heavily into video game design and development, which is the purpose of this new machine. He's learning Unity and Unreal Engine 4 and several other platforms. He took an Unreal Engine 4 course, the teacher praised him to the skies, even though his old laptop kept overheating and shutting down.

Now we have this machine that should only overheat during a nuclear attack, and maybe not then. But I'm interested in doing something with it that will drive it to its limit, or pretty close, so we can find what its limit is.

One way might be to find a movie or other file recorded in 1440p at a 144Hz rate. Apparently no movies or broadcasts are done in those parameters, but some video game creators write games that do them sometimes. I guess I'm hoping to find where someone made such a video sequence, recorded it somehow (do .mp4's retain such parameters when recorded, if they are made that way?) Is there another way to record a file that can play back with those characteristics? Has anyone ever seen or heard of one?

Maybe we could set up a utility that measures junction temperature, or overall CPU temperature where it contacts the CPU cooler, or other such critical temperature and displays it in one corner of the screen. Then take the 1440p 144Hz movie or game file and play it over and over, and let the temperature climb.

Anyone ever heard of such a file?

Of course, the graphics card would be pretty busy playing back such a file, but it won't be generating the graphical elements of the file, only reproducing their appearance, so maybe that's not a complete test.

Anybody heard of a way to drive a graphics card and CPU hard?
I just finished reading this thread and I am glad that you could turn the PC on without any further issues.

I recommend you to download HWInfo64 to check the temperatures, tensions, currents, clocks etc. and some stress test softwares such as: Aida64, Cinebench R20, OCCT, Blender, Prime95 etc. to check if the system is stable and how high the temperatures go.

Make sure to keep the components as cool as possible and you should be fine.

I hope you guys have fun with the new rig!

Last edited: