Newly built in (but used before) SSD gives me issues

roNic

Reputable
Jul 13, 2016
Guys,

I always had the following setup:

- 1x 500GB SSD
- 1x 1000GB HDD

Now I got a free 250GB SSD from a friend. My HDD always made an annoying buzzing sound and high pitch tone. This made me want to get rid of it. Sadly I can't just take it out cause some bootable files are on there I think since I get "select bootable device" message at startup.

As for now I don't wanna do a full reinstall of my OS, so I just want to place the 2nd SSD in the case and connect it for me. But when I do this, I get a BSOD at startup. This is when I have all disks connected at the same time. I already checked if the boot options are good. It still selects my primary SSD. The SSD is used before, so there might be an OS on it, but does that even matter?

Anyone any idea how to solve this issue? :)

Solution
2 things, Can you find in the Bios a hot swap function for your SATA ports...If so you can connect the new SSD whilst the PC is on and then hopefully you will be able to format the the new SSD.

In your BIOS you should have a Boot Over ride option when you select 'save and 'exit'. In the Boot Over ride you should be able to select and force the main windows drive to boot which might allow the attached new SSD to come along and hopefully not BSOD your setup.

Apologies but not an expert on SSD's and hopefully others will jump in with suggestions as it should have a solution other than buying a external enclosure SATA cable to connect that way..

Oh and are there any error codes when it BSOD's?
when you do a clean os install, never have all drives hooked up. delete all partitions once running the setup from usb and let windows format the ssd and install. only have that ONE drive hooked up to power when doing this otherwise windows will put boot files all over all your drives. then if you format that drive, you can't boot! LOL

roNic

Reputable
Jul 13, 2016

Hi Peter,

I'm aware of this now. Sadly this installation of my W10 was a few years ago, so I can't turn back my installation process. Still my issue is a bit different:

- 500GB SSD was hooked up while installing.
- 1000 GB HDD was hooked up while installaling.
- Been using this W10 for a few years.
- The new 250GB SSD had a OS installation of someone else. It had nothing to do with my PC or installation.

The situation is as following:

- When I attach all 3 disks I get a BSOD at launch.
- When I disconnect the 1000GB HDD and leave the 500GB and 250GB SSD's connected, I also get the BSOD.
- When I disconnect both the 250GB SSD and 1000GB HDD, I get a message that I don't have a bootable device/image available.
- When I connect the 500GB SSD and 1000GB HDD, it boots perfectly normal

How can I access the 250GB SSD within windows to format it? Without using an external USB - Sata device. I thought I could do that by connecting all 3 disks to my machine.

2 things, Can you find in the Bios a hot swap function for your SATA ports...If so you can connect the new SSD whilst the PC is on and then hopefully you will be able to format the the new SSD.

In your BIOS you should have a Boot Over ride option when you select 'save and 'exit'. In the Boot Over ride you should be able to select and force the main windows drive to boot which might allow the attached new SSD to come along and hopefully not BSOD your setup.

Apologies but not an expert on SSD's and hopefully others will jump in with suggestions as it should have a solution other than buying a external enclosure SATA cable to connect that way..

Oh and are there any error codes when it BSOD's?

Solution