Question Newly Built PC Constantly Restarts

May 24, 2020
I recently built a PC with the intention of gaming. This is my first ever build and after a few hours of building I was finally finished. For the first day everything seemed fine, I downloaded and played some games without coming across any problem. When I logged in the next day however the PC began to restart with varying degrees of length, all within around 5 minutes though. Sometimes it would restart without even logging in. I took apart the PC and built it again, double checking if any connection was loose however the problem still persisted. I decided to clear the SSD and reinstall windows however even this proved troublesome as it would also restart during the re-installation however I eventually managed to get past the installation after several attempts. The problem still persists and I'm currently unsure what else to try. I have tried using just one RAM stick at a time to check if one was faulty however this also made no difference. The problem began around 24 hours after the build was originally complete after several hours of playing Witcher 3 and Modern Warfare. I was recommended to try and reapply thermal paste however this also did not work.
The only thing I am capable of doing is entering the BIOS without the PC restarting.
PC Components
MSI Pro VDH Max Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
AMD Rtx 5600 GPU
Kingston A400 SSD
2x8GB HyperX Fury RAM
Aerocool Integrator MX 600W 80 PLUS Silver Semi-Modular PSU

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi @ljp8991,

1st order of business is Welcome to the forums!

Looks like a nice system you have built for yourself. Lets see if we can help get it up & running.

For starters, what Bios version is your mobo? It'll show on the 1st screen once you enter your Bios.

Do you have the RAM installed in the correct slots?

Please take a close-up pic of the inside of your case so that we can see how the cables are installed. You have of course made sure all power cables have been plugged into both your mobo and GPU correct?

Have you tried clearing your Cmos? Either via the jumper next to the battery, inside the Bios or via removing the battery? Possibly a setting was not configured correctly, such as RAM timings. Was the mobo new or an open box?

Here is a similar post on AMD's site.

May 24, 2020
Hi @ljp8991,

1st order of business is Welcome to the forums!

Looks like a nice system you have built for yourself. Lets see if we can help get it up & running.

For starters, what Bios version is your mobo? It'll show on the 1st screen once you enter your Bios.

Do you have the RAM installed in the correct slots?

Please take a close-up pic of the inside of your case so that we can see how the cables are installed. You have of course made sure all power cables have been plugged into both your mobo and GPU correct?

Have you tried clearing your Cmos? Either via the jumper next to the battery, inside the Bios or via removing the battery? Possibly a setting was not configured correctly, such as RAM timings. Was the mobo new or an open box?

Here is a similar post on AMD's site.
Thanks @Mrgr74 for the reply.

The BIOS version currently running is E7A38AMS.B40

Going with the MOBO manual I have the RAM install and the 2nd and 4th sloths of the MOBO.

I have checked the power cables of both the MOBO and GPU and also taken them off and reinserted them a couple of times now. The fans and light of the GPU are both active as well when turning on the PC so I presumed this meant it was connected properly.

I have not yet tried clearing the Cmos however will give it a shot. Here's some photos of the inside
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/1686/HOXg6I.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/5467/eO3Wej.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/6590/rZtOpD.jpg

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Just gave this a try and still no luck unfortunately.

Thanks for the clear pics and the update on clearing the Cmos.

If you have any case fans or RGB's installed, try unplugging them all and only have your essentials installed. Power, CPU, GPU, RAM etc.

Do you have another SSD or even and old fashioned HDD you could try? I'm curious if perhaps you have a bad SSD or possibly even a bad installation of Windows (Are you installing off of a retail disc or off of a thumb drive?) if your system does not want to boot past your Bios screen. The fact your PC boots up to your Bios screen is a good thing. Tried plugging your SSD into another SATA port? Your A400 SSD is coming up as an SSD and not an m.2 drive. You have the older style SSD correct and not an m.2?

What speed RAM do you have? In the Bios, have you set your XMP RAM profile to 2.0 and set the RAM to it's desired speed? Do you have DDR4-3200? 3000? 2400? Clearing your Cmos should have set it to it's default and so should have booted.

In Bios, does it show you have 16GB of RAM installed?

May 24, 2020
Thanks for the clear pics and the update on clearing the Cmos.

If you have any case fans or RGB's installed, try unplugging them all and only have your essentials installed. Power, CPU, GPU, RAM etc.

Do you have another SSD or even and old fashioned HDD you could try? I'm curious if perhaps you have a bad SSD or possibly even a bad installation of Windows (Are you installing off of a retail disc or off of a thumb drive?) if your system does not want to boot past your Bios screen. The fact your PC boots up to your Bios screen is a good thing. Tried plugging your SSD into another SATA port? Your A400 SSD is coming up as an SSD and not an m.2 drive. You have the older style SSD correct and not an m.2?

What speed RAM do you have? In the Bios, have you set your XMP RAM profile to 2.0 and set the RAM to it's desired speed? Do you have DDR4-3200? 3000? 2400? Clearing your Cmos should have set it to it's default and so should have booted.

In Bios, does it show you have 16GB of RAM installed?
I've now disconnected the RGB case fans. The SSD I was using was not an m.2 drive. I have since used another SSD (also not m.2) and also used a new boot device (both devices were USB thumb drives) and still no luck. Just after the option to enter the BIOS comes up the computer restarts. The first attempt I got to around 90% of the windows installation however now cannot even get to the screen to begin the installation for this SSD. I am still able to enter the BIOS however.

The RAM purchased was DDR4 3200 and is currently running at a lower frequency of 2400 (I have not changed this, this was what the default setting was.)

On the BIOS screen both 8GB RAM sticks are detected and it is showing a total of 16GB being detected.

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
This might seem dumb and you're welcome to bonk me over the head and ridicule me.
But it's for elimination, just in case.

Would you be so kind as to hold you graphics card so that it is now hanging level and does not appear to "sag" on the end. Then make sure it is seated properly.
Perhaps using some stiff cardboard or similar under the card, without obstructing the fans.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Since the PSU is modular, have you tried using a different power cable port from the PSU to the GPU? Sometimes it'll be listed as "VGA1" or "GPU1" Possibly the port on your PSU you're connected from is defective (if the whole PSU isn't itself) You are using a full 8pin molex or a 6+2?

May 24, 2020
This might seem dumb and you're welcome to bonk me over the head and ridicule me.
But it's for elimination, just in case.

Would you be so kind as to hold you graphics card so that it is now hanging level and does not appear to "sag" on the end. Then make sure it is seated properly.
Perhaps using some stiff cardboard or similar under the card, without obstructing the fans.
Good suggestion, gave it shot this morning and still no luck sadly

May 24, 2020
Aerocool Integrator MX 600W 80 PLUS Silver Semi-Modular. Isn't this an horrible PSU? Released in 2014.

Get a good quality PSU. A PC restarting can be a few things but the most seen cause is a bad PSU.
Thanks for the suggestion, I was originally thinking maybe a PSU problem but then I thought (probably talking out of my depth here) that if it was able to enter the BIOS screen without any restarts then perhaps it probably wasn't the PSU? I'll certainly take a look at a better quality one though thanks

May 24, 2020
Since the PSU is modular, have you tried using a different power cable port from the PSU to the GPU? Sometimes it'll be listed as "VGA1" or "GPU1" Possibly the port on your PSU you're connected from is defective (if the whole PSU isn't itself) You are using a full 8pin molex or a 6+2?
Unfortunately there's only one slot listed as either VGA or GPU. The molex is 6+2.

TRENDING THREADS