[SOLVED] Newly built PC crashes frequently - Several Error Codes

raphealq

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2013
Hi all,

I finished a build yesterday and my PC keeps crashing at irregular intervals with new error codes, giving the Blue Screen of Death. I logged into this website and it crashed. Google Chrome crashes sometimes too. Here are some of the error codes I have received. There is a new code almost every time.
There isn't anything specific I do that causes the crash. I could be using MS Word or use Chrome and it crashes regardless.

IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL
MEMORY MANAGEMENT
SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION

There is one more that I forgot to note, and upon looking it up, it had to do with device driver issues namely GPUs. Note: I have not updated my GPU drivers as I am waiting for the GPU I plan on using to come in. Also, my GPU is 7 years old. But, I assume that this would only account for GPU error codes, right?

What could cause this - OS issues? Should I reinstall Windows or is my hardware defective? How can I tell?

Specs:
GPU (temporary): AMD Radeon HD 7770
CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x
MoBo: Asrock B550M Pro4
Ram: G-Skill Trident RGB 2x8GB = 16GB running @ 3600mhz overclocked
SSD: Western Digital SN550 M.2 NVME - 1TB
HDD: WD Blue 1TB - reused without formatting from my last build
PSU: Cooler Master 750 MWE Gold
Case: Corsair 280x

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi all,

I finished a build yesterday and my PC keeps crashing at irregular intervals with new error codes, giving the Blue Screen of Death. I logged into this website and it crashed. Google Chrome crashes sometimes too. Here are some of the error codes I have received. There is a new code almost every time.
There isn't anything specific I do that causes the crash. I could be using MS Word or use Chrome and it crashes regardless.

IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL
MEMORY MANAGEMENT
SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION

There is one more that I forgot to note, and upon looking it up, it had to do with device driver issues namely GPUs. Note: I have not updated my GPU drivers as I am waiting for the GPU I plan on using to come in. Also, my GPU is 7 years old. But, I assume that this would only account for GPU error codes, right?

What could cause this - OS issues? Should I reinstall Windows or is my hardware defective? How can I tell?

Specs:
GPU (temporary): AMD Radeon HD 7770
CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x
MoBo: Asrock B550M Pro4
Ram: G-Skill Trident RGB 2x8GB = 16GB running @ 3600mhz overclocked
SSD: Western Digital SN550 M.2 NVME - 1TB
HDD: WD Blue 1TB - reused without formatting from my last build
PSU: Cooler Master 750 MWE Gold
Case: Corsair 280x

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Those BSODs can be caused by drivers or memory instability. Update your GPU drivers first if you still get them set your ram to 3200Mhz in the bios

Reactions: raphealq

raphealq

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2013
Those BSODs can be caused by drivers or memory instability. Update your GPU drivers first if you still get them set your ram to 3200Mhz in the bios
Thanks for your response. My RAM is advertised as 3600mhz so I figured 3600mhz would be fine, but before posting I set the speed to 2133mhz, which I found out is the max. I will use the PC more and see if the issue persists.

raphealq

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2013
2133Mhz is the lowest DDR4 speed. You want it faster than that really. Did you do a fresh install of windows when you built the system?
Hi there thanks for replying. Yes I did. Its a new PC and I fresh installed Windows yesterday. I would like the RAM to run at 3600mhz - my motherboard says it supports it and my ram is advertised at 3600mhz. I set it to the lowest just so I can rule out memory issues. Update: read my motherboard manual and it suggests install the ram sticks in two specified slots which I haven't done. I will try this, and set the speed back to 3600mhz using the XMP profile that shows up in BIOS.

Last edited:

raphealq

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2013
I think you are right about the RAM. I ran blender several times (rendering on the CPU) and the entire PC restarted a few minutes in every time. There was no error code.

I changed my RAM setting to auto and now I ran an entire render without any issues. Auto sets the speed to 2133mhz. I am glad I at least know the source of the problem, but still not sure why I can't run 3600mhz.

My motherboard manual says that the board supports it, and I used the XMP profile provided. Note: I have not tried to set it to anything between 3600mhz and 2133mhz. What should I do to get stable 3600mhz?

I think you are right about the RAM. I ran blender several times (rendering on the CPU) and the entire PC restarted a few minutes in every time. There was no error code.

I changed my RAM setting to auto and now I ran an entire render without any issues. Auto sets the speed to 2133mhz. I am glad I at least know the source of the problem, but still not sure why I can't run 3600mhz.

My motherboard manual says that the board supports it, and I used the XMP profile provided. Note: I have not tried to set it to anything between 3600mhz and 2133mhz. What should I do to get stable 3600mhz?
Do you have the ram in the slots it says in the board manual?

Try the ram at 3200Mhz

Hi Flayed I really appreciate you continuing to help. My memory kit is actually

F4-3600C18D-16GTZRX

The label reads:
CL18-22-22-42 1.35V

So, should I set the RAM to
3200mhz
1.35v
18-22-22-42 1.35V

?
If you are feeling brave you can tweak the ram using this tool:

Reactions: raphealq

raphealq

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2013
If you are feeling brave you can tweak the ram using this tool:
Set RAM to 3400mhz. Highest I could achieve stably. All other info like latency and voltage I took directly from the sticker on the packaging.

Reactions: Flayed