[SOLVED] Newly Built PC crashes while gaming, Please help

Aug 5, 2020
My PC, which was built yesterday has fully shut down twice for no reason while gaming. The PC would not turn on when I pressed the power button until I flipped power supply switch off and then back on. My GPU drivers are updated, Windows is Updated, no motherboard debug LEDs are on. CPU temps while playing are 60-70C and GPU 50-60C, Ram is in correct slots. I am a first time builder and probably did something dumb, please help.

PC components:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/whom/saved/#view=Y79Vcf

Solution
I can't be sure that this is the cause of your issues, but that PSU is a low quality unit. The first link in my signature is a good guide as to what to look for and what to avoid.

EVGA has some good models, and some atrocious ones. That the one you purchased only produces 40A on the 12V rail, thus only 480W on the 12V rail, is a clue that it's a poor quality unit, though not the only clue.

I'd return it. A better quality PSU should be purchased, regardless of anything. There's also a decent chance that it will solve your problem.

Unfortunately, between Trump's tariff war with China, and the pandemic, prices of good PSUs are very elevated these days. Not quite as bad as a month or two ago, though.

Try this...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I can't be sure that this is the cause of your issues, but that PSU is a low quality unit. The first link in my signature is a good guide as to what to look for and what to avoid.

EVGA has some good models, and some atrocious ones. That the one you purchased only produces 40A on the 12V rail, thus only 480W on the 12V rail, is a clue that it's a poor quality unit, though not the only clue.

I'd return it. A better quality PSU should be purchased, regardless of anything. There's also a decent chance that it will solve your problem.

Unfortunately, between Trump's tariff war with China, and the pandemic, prices of good PSUs are very elevated these days. Not quite as bad as a month or two ago, though.

Try this:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Km...ified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-550fm

Solution
Aug 5, 2020

Try this:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Km...ified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-550fm
Thanks I will look into buying another PSU, do you think those crashes could have done permanent damage to my system?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
While low-quality PSUs can cause harm, I would think thus far at this point you probably haven't done any damage.

PSUs are safety devices though, and when something goes wrong, a low-quality PSU, when it fails, can take out other components with it.

Still, if I were to guess, I think you're still in good shape.

Aug 5, 2020
While low-quality PSUs can cause harm, I would think thus far at this point you probably haven't done any damage.

PSUs are safety devices though, and when something goes wrong, a low-quality PSU, when it fails, can take out other components with it.

Still, if I were to guess, I think you're still in good shape.
Thanks again, I found an EVGA 850w 80+ Gold 210-GQ-0850-RX for $90
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=210-GQ-0850-RX
Is this a good PSU and deal?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The GQ is one of EVGA's good units . . HOWEVER, that is a B-stock, only 1 year warranty. Don't be swayed by the 850W rating - you don't need anything close to that.

(Plus, I freely admit, I don't want to reward EVGA's bad behavior in the PSU market, coming out with a zillion different models, a lot of which are crap)

For the same money, I'd take the Seasonic I linked to with its 7-year warranty. I strongly prefer that kind of security. Don't buy a PSU just because the label says EVGA.

Aug 5, 2020
The GQ is one of EVGA's good units . . HOWEVER, that is a B-stock, only 1 year warranty. Don't be swayed by the 850W rating - you don't need anything close to that.

(Plus, I freely admit, I don't want to reward EVGA's bad behavior in the PSU market, coming out with a zillion different models, a lot of which are crap)

For the same money, I'd take the Seasonic I linked to with its 7-year warranty. I strongly prefer that kind of security. Don't buy a PSU just because the label says EVGA.
That

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Definitely sure. When the GPU makers give a recommendation, they tend to overstate because they don't know if you're running a mid-level processor, or a high-end processor that's being overclocked.

They also don't know if you're going with a good PSU or a mediocre PSU.

Given your GPU and CPU, 550W is more than enough. Your system probably, at maximum, would use about 450W. A quality 550W unit gives you plenty of overhead.

Aug 5, 2020
Definitely sure. When the GPU makers give a recommendation, they tend to overstate because they don't know if you're running a mid-level processor, or a high-end processor that's being overclocked.

They also don't know if you're going with a good PSU or a mediocre PSU.

Given your GPU and CPU, 550W is more than enough. Your system probably, at maximum, would use about 450W. A quality 550W unit gives you plenty of overhead.
Also why does a low quality power supply result in crashes, 600w is clearly enough

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well, as I stated with the 12V rail, you're only getting a max of 480W.

Also, a low quality power supply will have trouble with sudden changes in demand, or sustaining power demand evenly. It's not just about advertised power rating, but the ability to provide clean, stable power, and adjust quickly to load demands.